THIS RESTAURANT HAS BEEN RENAMED “FINCH & FORK” AND CAN BE SEEN AT WWW.FINCKANDFORKRESTAURANT.COM.
Coast Restaurant & Bar is nestled inside the Canary Hotel in thriving downtown Santa Barbara, California. With comfortable seating and views of busy sidewalks from tables inside this eatery next to huge floor-to-ceiling windows, patrons can view passers-by and the beauty of downtown Santa Barbara. Serving American fare with west coast enhancements, Coast Restaurant & Bar caters to connoisseurs of fresh seafood, tender meats and crisp vibrant vegetables meticulously prepared and delivered straight from the local Farmer’s Market to your table.
Close to the California coast with its serene ocean and beach, nearby upscale shopping along popular State Street, and located within Santa Barbara’s quaint beach community, Coast Restaurant & Bar presents relaxing comfort, savory cuisine and an inviting environment perfect for enjoying any meal of the day.
Below, photos of an interior dining room, the main entry of the restaurant, intricate wood details throughout the space indoors, and the water service presented in a tall glass corked bottle before each meal.
Coast Restaurant & Bar provides a wide variety of succulent fare from fresh creative seafood presentations to tender cuts of beef to crisp vibrant salads and tempting dessert creations. Everything is made fresh with Farmer’s Market-purchased ingredients and that can be tasted in the final product that arrives from the kitchen. Dishes are prepared to your specifications and are delivered with pride and a smile from friendly servers. Our late lingering lunch was just what we were looking for to tame our rumbling stomachs after spending the morning shopping and visiting friends on State Street.
Specialty Iced Teas
Before ordering my glass of wine, I shared in a Signature Iced Tea with my husband before ordering. These were enhanced with fruit flavors, rosemary essence and herbs mixed throughout to create sensational-tasting iced teas that proved to be both flavorful as well as visually enchanting once we sipped from these colorful concoctions.
Coast Restaurant & Bar advanced some pretty astounding starters. From the ‘Finger Foods’ selection (from $4 to $7), you can chow down on Warm Marinated Olives, Honey Roasted Spiced Peanuts, Dungeness Deviled Eggs, or Truffle Fries With Mustard Aioli. The ‘Share’ portion of the menu suggests items that can be split (from $3 to $13) from the Classic Ceviche to the Market Fish Tacos to several other interesting dishes…
West Coast Oysters
We satisfied our hunger and graced our palates with the West Coast Oysters ($3/each). In fact, they were so inspiring that we ordered a second dozen before we had even finished the first one! A terrific starter to any meal, these oceanic wonderments were full of flavor and possessed a perfect creaminess to their texture. The accompaniments of sauces and a caper relish were excellent sidekicks to these amazing mollusks.
Roasted California Mussels
Another ‘Share’ menu item we couldn’t pass up was the Roasted Californian Mussels offering ($12). These succulent morsels were tossed in Coast’s tangy and sweet and hearty tomato sauce with fennel, saffron and creme fraiche, and definitely hit the spot. Served with grilled sliced bread sticks on top, this was a wonderful flavor experience.
In addition to Coast’s Artisan Flat Breads (ranging from $10 to $14), their ‘Garden” menu selections are also pretty incredible. From Ahi Tuna and Potato & Fennel Soup and fresh salad options, I chose the Skirt Steak Salad ($15) for my lunch entree. This delectable mixed greens compilation included wild arugula, slices of sweet pear, contrasting blue cheese crumbles, candied walnuts and a smoked balsamic vinaigrette. Not to mention the tender, perfectly-grilled skirt steak slices piled onto the plate. Healthy and lean, this was a delightful lunch for me. The portion size was large, and the mixture of flavors between the sweetness of the fresh sliced pear and candied nuts with the tangy blue cheese and smoky dressing created a beautiful presentation.
Skirt Steak Salad
And now for the second entree that was ordered….
My husband enjoyed the Lamb Burger. A switch on the traditional beef burger, this creation was not only tasty, but presented with a sweet date compote, and an onion relish cilantro yogurt. (Um…can I just have a bowl of this yogurt condiment and a spoon, please?) The sauce was great, but everything together, including the tender bun this carefully ground lamb burger came with made my husband’s dining experience only that much better. The addition of the fries was a battle I quickly lost with my husband, so I forced myself to enjoy a few of the crispy, perfectly-cooked potato strips. A touch of light salt on these was welcomed, and the crunchy exterior and warm potato interior remained throughout the duration of the meal.
Interior of the Lamb Burger
By now, you would think we had no room left after the feast we enjoyed. But when our server stopped by with a dessert menu, we gave in to temptation and chose the Lemon Cheesecake ($8) to share. I must say, the caramel and chocolate sauce alongside this elongated rectangular slice of lemony creamy sin was perfectly sweet and balanced. The macadamia nuts that rained down atop this sugary confection added a brilliant crunch to this already magnificent end-of-the-meal treat. (And no…we didn’t finish our dessert!)
Here’s a suggestion for all of you who choose to enjoy a meal at Coast…take a walk to the rooftop of the hotel before or after your meal and catch a glimpse of the panoramic mountain views of Santa Barbara. (Aren’t the above photos incredible!) It’s called the Rooftop Perch, and once there, you’ll understand why it’s such a perfect name for this hideaway overlooking the area. My husband and I just peered out over the edge of the rooftop for what seemed like an eternity.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Deep woods, colorful seating and a classic vibe throughout the restaurant.
- FOOD / DRINK: Fresh-tasting, excellently prepared, delicious-tasting and worthy of a return visit.
- LOCATION: Coast restaurant is located inside the Canary Hotel at 31 West Carrillo Street in Santa Barbara, CA 93101.
- HOURS: Coast is available for breakfast Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 10:30 AM. Lunch is served Monday through Friday from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM. Dinner is available Sunday through Thursdays from 5:30 PM to 10 PM, and on Friday and Saturdays from 5:30 PM to 11 PM. Brunch is offered Saturdays and Sundays from 7 AM to 3 PM, while the bar is open daily until midnight serving bar menu fare from 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM. Happy Hour at Coast is presented Monday through Friday from 4 PM-7 PM with a variety of discounted cocktails and bar bites.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Our server was lovely. She showed attentiveness, professionalism, friendliness and appreciation of our stopping in for lunch.
- PRICE / VALUE: We felt the price was a tad high for lunch, but we thoroughly enjoyed the quality of what was ordered. Of course, the pricy glass of wine and the additional 18 oysters helped to raise the total bill as well.
- CORKAGE FEE: $20 per 750mL bottle
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (805) 879-9100, Website: www.canarysantabarbara.com
- PARKING: There is ample paid parking in the nearby city parking garage for a reasonable charge.
- TOTAL BILL: Our total came to a bit over $135 (including tax) for two dozen oysters, an order of mussels, the Lamb Burger, a Steak Salad, a glass of wine, two teas and a cheesecake dessert. Let’s just say that we’ll be back!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.