Sisters Mary & Maureen Harrigan brought Stonefire Grill to life in 2000 when years of family dinners in their large family evolved into something they desired to share with the rest of the world. The concept of great times, lively conversation, and consistently delicious fare evolved into the Stonefire Grill locations that exist today. With locations in Valencia, West Hills, Chatsworth, Fountain Valley, Thousand Oaks, Pasadena, and Irvine, this California-based restaurant group has proven over the last 13 years just how perfect they are for the community. With a popular catering business that has evolved since the restaurant’s inception, several fast-casual (order upon arrival, then your meal is delivered to your table) Stonefire Grill locations throughout California, and an award-worthy staff, there are many reasons to visit one of these outstanding eateries.
My husband and I were invited to review the Thousand Oaks location. We arrived just at nightfall, and were already pleased from our walk from our vehicle to the main entry. Crossing the parking area, several flowering trees stood magnificently in their strategically-placed spots, while two large fire pits at the eatery’s entrance enhanced the evening’s darkness creating a luminous glow against the building. But there was something else that really caught our attention as we approached…the mouthwatering, incredible wafting aroma of steaks and chicken and fish being grilled inside the establishment’s open kitchen. The aroma alone was enough to put a smile on our faces, and a spring in our step.
General Manager, Jacob Shearer, couldn’t have been more helpful, delightful to speak with, or more excited to work for the company. When discussing his position, his expression literally lit up with a glow that was continuous throughout our meal. It was infectious, almost…because every employee we spoke with, the same thing happened. They just lit up. Their smiles and sincere words about working at Stonefire Grill was quite refreshing to witness. We literally left the restaurant feeling better than we did when we arrived. That in itself was pretty incredible.
Freshly Baked Breadsticks
A sensationally flavorful beginning to any meal at Stonefire Grill is their freshly baked bread sticks ($2.79 for an order of six.) Tender, flavored with garlic and a pinch of salt, and some of the best bread sticks we’ve had in a while, these are an essential item to order with any meal you enjoy.
For you salad lovers out there (myself included!), Stonefire Grill offers EIGHTEEN original salad creations. We relished in the flavors of three of them: Stonefire Grill’s BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad, the South Of The Border Salad, and the Keen Green Salad…
Stonefire Grill’s BBQ Chopped Salad, Keen Green Salad & South Of The Border Salad
We enjoyed samplings of the BBQ Chopped Salad with grilled chicken breast (top upper left), which encompassed flavors of jack cheese, fresh chopped tomatoes, sweet roasted corn kernels, carrots, red cabbage, black beans, and mixed greens tossed with crunchy tortilla strips and buttermilk ranch dressing. A choice of quinoa, chicken breast or tri tip is available for this salad. The Keen Green version (top lower left) provided healthy quinoa, tossed with beautiful dark-leafed spinach, savory artichoke hearts, hand sliced creamy avocado, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto with a topping of Parmesan cheese. This had to be my favorite of the three we tasted, although I have to admit it was very difficult to make a decision between the three versions! The third salad we tried was Stonefire Grill’s South Of The Border salad. With a choice again of quinoa, grilled chicken breast, or tri tip, we enjoyed tri tip tossed with fresh avocado, cucumber, red cabbage, artichoke hearts, tomato, Gouda cheese and a savory Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette dressing throughout. You can imagine how flavorful these were. Pricing for these salads varies according to the size ordered with the South Of The Border and Stonefire’s BBQ Chopped salad ranging from $6.99 to $18.99, and the Keen Green salad at a static $8.99, there’s something for everyone between the flavors and the price range. (We also shared a bottle of wine that we brought to enjoy with dinner. When we found out Stonefire Grill’s corkage fee was just $2.00 per 750 mL bottle, we couldn’t resist!)
10″ Margherita Pizza, Pesto Pasta & Garlic Mashed Potatoes
The flavor experiences just kept coming, as we were introduced to Stonefire Grill’s Margherita Pizza. This thin crusted beauty found it’s inspiration in Napoli, Italy where the Harrigan sisters visited to explore the true methods of pizza making. The result is what you’ll experience at any Stonefire Grill today. Pure ingredients, an excellent perfectly baked crust, flavorful harmony between the hand-crushed tomatoes and soothing mozzarella cheese…I’d actually like another one right this second! And for $6.99, the Margherita Pizza is ideal for a starter, or a snack after a bit of shopping in the area. The Pesto Pasta provides all the color and flavor one could imagine in a pesto dish. The vibrant green hue of the pesto mixed with perfectly al dente pasta is a vision to behold at just $5.99 for a serving to accommodate one person. Stonefire Grill’s Garlic Mashed Potatoes are also a fluffy and fulfilling side item (just $2.99 for a 1-2 person serving) that everyone must try as well. We also experienced the Macaroni & Cheese dish (not pictured), which was creamy, sinfully delicious, and made us long for more at a simple $5.49 for a small serving.
Stonefire Grill’s Fresh Salmon
If you enjoy expertly prepared salmon, then Stonefire Grill is the place you need to experience it. We were presented with a taste of the Sesame Glazed and Lemon Garlic versions (each $11.99 for an 8-ounce portion) from the kitchen. Tender, flaky, savory, literally melt-in-your-mouth delicious, this was such a gratifying experience. Cooked in Stonefire Grill’s high-heat broilers, you will find out just how incredible the salmon is at this fast-casual eatery. Everyone knows I’m a salmon lover. And this salmon lover was well taken care of by the flavorsome experience this allowed me. Just looking at the above photos shows the flakiness and tenderness of these salmon presentations. So incredible.
Mesquite BBQ Tri Tip & Cracked Pepper Garlic Tri Tip Topped With Gorgonzola Butter
We were impressed with the Tri Tip offerings we received. The first, a Mesquite BBQ Tri Tip beautifully sliced and topped with fresh chopped parsley, the tenderness and flavor of the beef was meticulously prepared. Meats and chicken selections at Stonefire Grill are slow-cooked overnight in a uniquely-designed oven to ensure the enhancement of tenderness and lock in all the delicious juices they possess. From there, they are removed from the oven straight onto a mesquite fire grill where all the magic occurs.
Mesquite BBQ & Lemon Garlic Chicken
Pictured above is the popular Mesquite BBQ and Lemon Garlic Chicken. So tender, served with a beautiful presentation, and offered with the Tri Tip in a combo version on the menu as well, these are just one of the numerous amazing things Stonefire Grill is known for.
We simply had no room remaining for another bite after the feast we enjoyed at Stonefire Grill. However, General Manager Jacob Shearer insisted that we take a piece of their famous Carrot Cake home with us. (How did he know carrot cake is one of my favorites?) It was interesting to find out that only two employees know the secret recipe for this tempting dessert! Once we returned home from our wonderful evening out, we took a look at this sweet creation, grabbed two forks, and sat in front of the fireplace with a glass of wine. Needless to say, there wasn’t a morsel remaining!
Stonefire Grill’s Famous Carrot Cake
As if these delectable items aren’t enough to temp you to jump into your car right now and head over to Stonefire Grill, there’s more! Now Stonefire Grill offers lunch items under $8.00! Monday through Friday from 11 AM to 2 PM at the Pasadena, Irvine and Fountain Valley locations, the restaurant presents it’s lunch specials such as their 2-Topping 7-inch Pizza & Side Salad, the BBQ Beef or French Dip Sandwich & a side, and many other options (see website below for all Lunch Specials)…all for under $8. You simply cannot beat that deal for the value you get and the quality of the meals here!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Warm earth tones create a cozy feel inside the restaurant, while there exists a consistent flow among the staff and patrons.
- FOOD / DRINK: We definitely DO recommend Stonefire Grill to anyone who is searching for an authentic, unique, delicious meal out. Whether for a single diner, a family of twelve, or somewhere in the middle, Stonefire Grill is that perfect answer to all of those needs. Foods are delivered daily to the restaurants to ensure freshness, the entire menu is available for Take-Out to make it more convenient for those on the go, and dressings and sauces are made fresh every morning, while sous chefs are kept on hand throughout the day to maintain freshness of all salads, sides, and meal presentations.
- LOCATION: The restaurant we visited was located at 3635 East Thousand Oaks Boulevard in Thousand Oaks, CA 91362.
- HOURS: Available for lunch and dinner, the Thousand Oaks Stonefire Grill location is available for dining from 11 AM to 9:30 PM Sunday through Thursday, and again on Fridays and Saturdays from 11 AM to 10 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: We were impressed with the astounding service we received. From General Manager, Jacob Shearer, and his glowing explanation about working for the company, to our discussions with multiple staff members who always seemed to be genuinely smiling to be employed at Stonefire Grill, my husband and I left that night feeling even better than we did when we arrived. Fantastic staff rapport, an incredible morale among everyone, and a team effort feeling that’s very obvious.
- PRICE / VALUE: The price for the value of the cuisine at Stonefire Grill was very reasonable. Portions are larger than most, as they are meant for sharing in most cases.
- CORKAGE FEE: Stonefire Grill charges an easy $2 per 750mL bottle. We just couldn’t resist when we heard that, so we brought a bottle with us when we dined at the restaurant!
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (805) 413-0300, Website: www.stonefiregrill.com
- PARKING: The Thousand Oaks location supplies ample complimentary parking in the private lot located beside the restaurant.
- TOTAL BILL: We were honored to have been the guests of Stonefire Grill this particular evening, which was hosted by Groff-Hinman
*SPECIAL THANKS: We would like to thank the Thousand Oaks Stonefire Grill General Manager, Jacob Shearer, and his outstanding staff for their generosity and hospitality, as well as Groff-Hinman, Inc., with a special thank you to Kristen Hinman for their kind invitation to experience such a lovely establishment!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.