We’re not huge beer fanatics, but we found a spot that caters to the beer lover that also crafts pretty phenomenal burgers as well. Blue Dog Beer Tavern opened in 2009 after being birthed from a remodel of a 1940s California bungalow-style building originally erected to house a physician’s office. Years later, someone got the great idea to turn that structure into Blue Dog Beer Tavern, a neighborhood hangout for locals and visitors from afar who are lucky enough to be ‘in the know’ about this friendly local canteen.
During the renovation of this now popular haunt, original beams were left exposed to showcase the intricacy of the authentic construction of the building. It’s quite impressive when you enter the tavern. Patrons can literally see ‘through’ the walls inside. It certainly makes for a terrific conversation piece while dining or enjoying a refreshing beverage while watching a favorite sports game on one of several monitors near the bar. Another fun sight is the collection of framed photos of canines everywhere one can look inside. Have a furry friend? Bring in a photo and Blue Dog’s staff will frame the image and hang it somewhere inside the tavern!
With eight beers on tap, over 25 bottled brews, and a decent selection canned as well, there’s an ale here for every beer lover. There are also a few select wines available in addition.
How about those burgers? Blue Dog Beer Tavern was listed by CBS as one of the best burgers in the valley, while L.A. Weekly voted the eatery one of the “best sports bars in Los Angeles”. Powerful comments from such strong sources. But frankly, we feel that Blue Dog deserves the recognition.
Blue Dog Burgers, Fries and Purple Cabbage Slaw
From the root beer BBQ sauce to the artisan potato buns to the 1/3 pound house-ground brisket/chuck compounded burgers crafted by hand, the kitchen at Blue Dog knows what they’re doing when it comes to satisfying hungry customers an leaving them happily returning. Try the Fire Starter burger loaded with jalapenos, the Black ‘n Bleu Burger with it’s Cajun spices and bleu cheese, or maybe the Italian Supermodel with provolone, meaty pepperoni, fresh basil, Parmesan cheese and a phenomenal marinara sauce. Lots of flavors to chose from, and many more sandwiches an menu options as well.
Crisp Mouthwatering Salads and Cole Slaw
If you’re not in the mood for one of Blue Dog’s mouthwatering burgers, there’s always one of several colorful crisp salads to please those hunger pangs. Try The Sherman with chicken breast meat tossed in root beer BBQ sauce mixed with bits of yellow corn, hearty beans and crunchy tortilla strips, creamy avocado, bibb and green leaf lettuces and shredded cheddar cheese. Or the vegan Spa Salad containing a variety of beans, dried cranberries, almonds, avocado and just for fun (and flavor), Blue Dog’s house-whipped pear-vanilla dressing!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Exposed beams throughout, framed photos of canines covering nearly every inch of the interior, fun and lively atmosphere.
- FOOD / DRINK: Spectacular burgers, fresh tasty filling salads, a variety of beers and a few wines available.
- LOCATION: Blue Dog Beer Tavern is located at 4524 Saugus Avenue in Sherman Oaks, CA 91403.
- HOURS: Blue Dog Beer Tavern opens its door for business Monday through Friday from 11:30 AM to 11 PM, and on Saturday and Sunday from 11 AM to 11 PM. Happy Hour is presented Monday through Friday from 3 PM to 6 PM, offering select beer and food items from $2.99 – $4.99.
- SERVICE / STAFF: We’ve always experiences kind, courteous service by the staff at Blue Dog.
- PRICE / VALUE: Exceptional value for what’s ordered at this location. We’ve enjoyed Blue Dog’s incredible burgers and refreshing salads on multiple ocassions with no complaints about the prices.
- CORKAGE FEE: No outside alcohol is permitted inside the restaurant.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (818) 990-2583, Website: www.bluedogbeertavern.com
- TOTAL BILL: Our bills have never gone above $35 for the two of us.