Perched atop the AAA Five Diamond Phoenician Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona with an unforgettable comprehensive perspective of the Sonoran Desert and Camelback Mountain sits J & G Steakhouse. A recipient of numerous awards and accolades, this John-Georges Vongerichten establishment possesses a modern upscale ambiance and a menu crafted by the Michelin-starred chef. J & G Steakhouse encompasses everything from premium savory meats to savory fish from around the world to luscious desserts…all within a sophisticated, yet welcoming steakhouse just waiting to please your every culinary desire.
The main entry of The Phoenician is graced with the sound of flowing water from the moment you arrive to the minute you step inside. Appealing sculptures accompany the continuous intonations from fountains and small pools long after you’ve exited your vehicle. Immediately, you are relaxed and delivered to a place of tranquil zen, which is a delightful preamble to the cuisine awaiting you at J & G Steakhouse. Once upstairs at the restaurant, Chef de Cuisine Jacques Qualin is hard at work in the kitchen preparing menu selections created with local ingredients and the perfect seasonings to make each meal that is sent out to dining patrons simply exquisite.
Designed by noted architect David Rockwell, J & G Steakhouse possesses classic steakhouse surroundings combined with cleverly appointed modern touches. A voluminous outdoor dining terrace complete with a large circular fire pit caters to those who prefer to dine al fresco, while a widespread picturesque view of Camelback Mountain and the Sonoran Desert captivate everyone’s attention at first glance. Alluring hues of golds, purples and reds are dispersed throughout this fine dining breadth and complimented with soft lighting in every sector of this establishment.
Valley views take your breath away, while butcher-block-topped tables and elegant rounded leather booths remind you that you are in a steakhouse. Intriguing design draws your eye here and there, and the aromas of fresh bread baking, tender steaks grilling and other such delights begin to flow easily from the kitchen to the dining areas with ease and gracious appreciation from guests.
Raspberry Martini, Champagne and a Glass of Pinot Noir
Once escorted to our table and seated, our cocktail orders were taken and delivered promptly. The above photo presents several beverages we enjoyed during our meal. Each was flavorsome, fresh-tasting, and my Raspberry Martini ($13) was made with fresh muddled raspberries and hand-shaken to perfection then served in a vintage-style Champagne glass.
Fanny Bay Oysters
Maybe we went a little crazy with the fresh oysters on the half shell at J&G Steakhouse, but after trying four of them, we just had to have more. I bet our readers can guess which type of oysters the above sensations were. Anyone? That’s right! They were Fanny Bay oysters ($3.25/piece) with all the creaminess and mild flavored texture one could imagine. They were furnished atop perfectly chilled beds of ice and accompanied by multiple sauces and wedges of refreshing lemon. The above photo shows just how large they were. We almost couldn’t believe it ourselves!
Chilled Cucumber and Avocado Soup
After enjoying the delectable fresh oysters and a couple of cocktails, we were served our dinner selections. I decided upon the restaurant’s Neighborhood Menu ($39), which consists of three courses and a select adult beverage of my choosing. My first course was the above Chilled Cucumber & Avocado Soup. Garnished with shredded fresh basil and sweet tangy raspberries and blackberries, this starter was a phenomenal beginning to a memorable dining experience. The creamy mild flavor of the pureed cucumber and avocado was extremely pleasing and I thoroughly enjoyed every bite. The fresh seasonal berries offered a contrasting flavor of sweetness to the mild flavor of the soup and the shredded fresh basil gave the entire dish a slight peppery flavor while enhancing the vibrant color of this presentation.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
My second of three courses arrived next with an exemplary appearance. Two thick organic chicken breasts flattened, coated in Parmesan cheese and Japanese breadcrumbs, then baked to a crispy perfection and situated atop a basil-lemon butter sauce beside tender stalks of white asparagus. I loved the conglomeration of crunchy and tender when taking my first bite of this entree…and the second…and the third. The suitable seasoning of the chicken mixed very well with the succulent butter sauce, which was enhanced with elongated strips of bright green basil for a touch of color.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Interior View
Ah, yes…the popular Filet Mignon ($35.) Guess who ordered this fine 8-ounce beauty! This dinner choice arrived in front of my husband as I received my Parmesan Crusted Chicken. If there were two words to describe my husband’s thoughts about his steak, they would have to be “UTTER HAPPINESS”. The beef was prepared to a flavorful, juicy, medium wellness, while the grilled exterior was expertly seasoned and joined by southwestern bell peppers, a side of Bearnaise sauce and a black pepper jam condiment.
8-Ounce Filet Mignon With Bearnaise & Black Pepper Jam Sauces
An order of J & G Steakhouse’s Creamed Spinach ($9) was not only creamy, but filling and delicious as well. It just sounded too good to pass up, and it is one of my husband’s favorite side dishes to enjoy with a wonderful steak. I detected a touch of nutmeg and a hint of basil in this creation, which made for an amiable combination of tastes.
Side of Irresistible Creamed Spinach
For dessert, my third course was the Chilled Raspberry Puree with fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, and a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt crowned with a crisp biscotti-style almond cookie. This arctic-temperatured dish of liquid excitement was tangy, sweet, and lacked nothing in the flavor department. It addressed every taste bud and finished my meal off quite nicely.
Chilled Raspberry Puree
In all, our experience at J & G Steakhouse was pleasing to the palate, fondly memorable, and altogether a bountiful experience. We look forward to visiting again in the near future to repeat our enjoyable culinary experience of flavors.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Classic steakhouse ambiance with a modern motif throughout. Upscale, yet welcoming and enjoyable in all aspects of the establishment.
- FOOD / DRINK: Fine cuisine preparations, refreshing and savory beverages, appealing visual appearance, and perfectly-dispensed portions.
- LOCATION: J & G Steakhouse is located at the Phoenician Resort at 6000 East Camelback Road in Scottsdale, AZ 85251.
- HOURS: The establishment serves dinner Sunday through Thursday from 5 PM to 10 PM, and Fridays and Saturdays from 5 PM – 11 PM. The bar is available daily beginning at 5 PM except on Thursdays, which is when it is reserved for the restaurant’s Happy Hour from 4 PM to 7 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Our server was Anthony. He was courteous, efficient, and extremely knowledgeable about wine pairings and the dinner menu.
- PRICE / VALUE: J & G Steakhouse is a John-Georges Vongerichten eatery. Just as our review on Dune Restaurant & Bar at the One & Only Ocean Club in the Bahamas showcased the fine excellence and culinary talents of Chef Vongerichten, so do we with this article. An extraordinary evening for the two of us was well worth the cost.
- CORKAGE FEE: Outside alcohol is not allowed into the restaurant.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (480) 214-8000, Website: www.jgsteakhousescottsdale.com
- PARKING: Complimentary valet parking is offered at the main entry to The Phoenician, while convenient self parking is also available on property.
- TOTAL BILL: Everything tallied, our dining experience totaled right over $150. Worthwhile, memorable, and definitely worth the splurge!