Musso & Frank Grill has been a foundation of Hollywood history since this family-owned business originally opened it’s doors in 1919. Existing before the renowned Hollywood sign was erected in the lush Hollywood hills, Musso & Frank Grill was standing proud and serving some of Hollywood’s elite. As a major part of Hollywood’s antiquity, this restaurant also became a literary watering hole for many famous authors in the 1930s. Listed on the “1001 Places to See before You Die” list, Musso & Frank Grill will show you the numerous reasons it is just that.
As you enter the establishment through the front door, you can just feel the history here. A plethora of experience is proudly possessed by every server here…some having been employed here since the 1950s. Waiters in classic red serving jackets with black lapels donning bow ties over crisp white collared shirts hold within them a pride and dignity for being a part of this history-rich foundation of culinary achievement.
Musso & Frank Grill Menus & a Bottle of Wine
Above, the 90-year-old menu still allures those with a taste for the finer things in life, while red leather booths and rich mahogany add even more warmth and inviting ambiance than you could ever imagine. We were treated as though we were part of the family during our dining experience at Musso & Frank Grill. From a sincere courteousness to friendly charming conversation, we had the most delightful time conversing with our waiter. Our acquaintance who dined with us this particular day brought along a bottle of wine for the table and also agreed that our server was one of the kindest and most professional waiters she had experienced in a long time. Then came the cuisine. Just when we thought things couldn’t get any better, we realized how amazing the culinary creations from Chef J. P. Amateau really are…
Fresh-Baked Bread Served Before Meals & the Marinated Herring
The specially-baked Sourdough French bread that is generously served to each patron’s table is soft, flavorful and undoubtedly memorable. Baked to perfection, this scrumptious provision is accompanied by a receptacle of chilled sweet cream butter topped with a thin paper prominently displaying the restaurant’s name. A quick photo with forks rapidly digging in to it, the above right photo is of the eatery’s popular Marinated Herring ($12). A terrific appetizer large enough to share with another person, this marinated herring is served atop iceberg and romaine lettuces with an ample serving of sour cream and is garnished with a black olive.
Grenadine of Beef With Bearnaise Sauce
The Grenadine of Beef With Bearnaise Sauce ($30) was comprised of three tender filets of beef topped with a savory creamy Bearnaise sauce surrounded by a delectable brown gravy and green field peas. My husband ordered this entree and had no trouble at all polishing it off. I did get a couple of bites from him to taste this excellent menu choice and found it to be amazing in taste and visual appeal.
The Lobster Thermidor was sensationally prepared. This popular French dish was comprised of a creamy conglomeration of cooked lobster meat, egg yolks and cognac, stuffed into a lobster shell, then abundantly topped with Gruyere cheese mixed with a hint of mustard. Such a sublime treat with the succulent lobster and rich mixture of savoriness!
Porcini Mushroom Risotto
I ordered the Porcini Mushroom Risotto ($22). A huge fan of excellently-cooked risotto and porcini mushrooms, I just couldn’t pass this by. So I ordered it. And I devoured the entire thing! And it was one of the most incredible, flavorsome, hearty mushroom risottos ever. The meatiness and earthy flavor from the porcini mushrooms enhanced the creaminess of the risotto. A well-appointed option for anyone who enjoys pasta presentations.
Musso & Frank Torten
If there is one dessert that you have at Musso & Frank Grill, it simply must be their Torten ($7). This Neopolitan is layered with strawberries, fluffy whipped cream and strawberry sauce then topped with fresh strawberries. The three of us shared this sinful treat, and had absolutely no regrets afterward!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Warm mahogany and red leather booths embrace the history of years gone by, while welcoming patrons inside to enjoy its classic elegance and storied past.
- FOOD / DRINK: Superior fare crafted in the Musso & Frank Grill kitchen keeps customers…both new and old…returning time and time again.
- LOCATION: Musso & Frank Grill is located at 6667 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, CA 90028.
- HOURS: Musso & Frank is available for service Tuesday through Saturday from 11 AM – 11 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: We were shown nothing but the utmost professionalism and kindness by our server.
- PRICE / VALUE: This establishment has been serving the city since 1919. The menu has featured the same Musso & Frank classic options for 90 years now, and there’s a reason why. Superior quality for an acceptable value.
- CORKAGE FEE: $20 per 750mL bottle
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (323) 467-7788, Website: www.mussoandfrank.com
- PARKING: Validated parking is available at the rear of the restaurant, as well as city parking lots nearby.
- TOTAL BILL: With the corkage charge, the Marinated Herring appetizer, the Porcini Mushroom Risotto, the Lobster Thermidor, the Grenadine of Beef with Bearnaise Sauce, and the Musso & Frank Torten dessert, our final bill came in a little over $128 (including tax). More than most diners may look forward to spending on a lunch for three, but we enjoyed every detail about it from the superb service to the exquisite ambiance of the restaurant to the classic ambiance of this Hollywood storied eatery.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.