Close-by Johns Island is a coastal barrier island in South Carolina popular for it’s picturesque views, coastal ocean wooded habitats, and Angel Oak, a 65-foot tall live oak tree believed to be between 500 and 1,500 years old! On neighboring Seabrook Island is Red’s Ice House located at the beautiful Bohicket Marina conveniently inshore between Johns and Kiawah Islands. The casual ambiance, flavorsome food and stunning sunsets over Bohicket Creek, which leads out to the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean will leave you breathless with picturesque memories of a pastel-filled evening sky and great times with friends and family.
Whether arriving via watercraft or just driving into the Bohicket Marina parking lot in the front of Red’s Ice House, you’ll probably be surprised by what you find inside. Red’s is not your typical waterside marina restaurant. Despite it’s casual and boater-friendly appeal, eclectic relaxed decor and laid back casual ambiance, it is a dining establishment worth visiting. Though not fine dining, the quality of the food here is fun, fresh and comforting.
Above, our view from the upper outdoor deck overlooking the Bohicket Marina where we were seated with our party. We enjoyed expansive unobstructed views as we awaited the popular ‘sunset watch’ that’s very popular among locals there.
The menu is fairly extensive. Offering popular items from New England Lobster Rolls, Grouper Sandwiches and Hamburgers to Fish & Chips, Chowders, Salads and Fried Shrimp Po’Boys, Red’s also serves up some pretty tasty cocktails, wine and other alcoholic libations. Red’s Happy Hour presented daily from 4PM-7PM is also a fun place to mingle with regulars and locals.
We were there for a few nibbles and a couple of drinks en route to a friend’s home for dinner. While there, we enjoyed Red’s ‘Good Ol’ Nachos. Quite possibly the best nacho dish I have ever had. A pile of crispy tri-colored tortilla chips covered with melted white cheddar cheese and jalapenos then accompanied by an offering of sour cream and salsa. I’m not sure exactly where Red’s is getting their white cheddar cheese from, but if someone finds out, please let me know because it was incredible!
Good ‘Ol Nachos
The Coconut Shrimp are prepared and breaded with real shredded coconut and served with a tropical dipping sauce that’s like nothing we’ve ever experienced when eating this type of shrimp preparation. Simply and uniquely delicious!
Red’s Rockin’ Crab Dip
Another item we really appreciated was the Red’s Rockin’ Crab Dip. If you’re looking for a sinful crab dip, this is the best place to get it! Made with lump crab meat, cream cheese, and spices, this ridiculously sensational dip is then topped with chopped pecans and scallions. Red, white and blue tortilla chips enhance the look of this appetizer. If you like your crab dip warm, no problem! Because the friendly accommodating staff will gladly heat it up before serving it to you. Very nice on a cool evening as the sun begins to set beyond the horizon.
Red’s Ice House is a terrific casual and unpretentious establishment serving up classic pub food and seafood items sure to leave diners satisfied and certain to bring them back again and again.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Casual, marina-esque decor with smiling staff and a tremendous upper deck that allows for terrific views of the sunset over the docked water vessels at Bohicket Marina just steps from the restaurant.
- FOOD / DRINK: Mostly pub food and casual fare that hits a real home run for those searching for a quick bite or a long lingering sunset cocktail and snack location.
- LOCATION: 1882 Andell Bluff Boulevard at the Bohicket Marina on Seabrook Island, SC 29455.
- HOURS: Red’s opens daily at 11:30AM, but be sure to give then a call if you’re stopping by to ensure information about any time changes.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Friendly, generous with menu suggestions and seem to have a good time working there.
- PRICE/ VALUE: Great prices, great value and the perfect place to visit with friends after docking your watercraft in the marina.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (843) 518-5515, Website: www.redsicehouse.com
- PARKING: Whether driving in via boat or by car, there is ample parking available.
- TOTAL BILL: Our total bill was just under $60, but with six people in our party and a couple of rounds of drinks between all of us, that’s not bad considering the view, the courteous staff and fresh cooked fare.