Memphis,Tennesee is commonly known for three major B’s…BEAL STREET, BARBEQUE and for being the home of the BLUES. We have to add another B to the list..how does the BEST restaurant we’ve been to in the city sound? Flight is a restaurant and wine bar offering an incredibly creative concept to their meal presentations…flights. Despite the aviation theme you will witness as you enter the main threshold, the realization of just why this establishment is named what it is named is really in the initial service of the cuisine. Available in traditional main portioned entrees, Flight also served ‘flights’ of most everything in this restaurant. A clever spin on traditional portions, ordering the ‘flight’-style items will allow you a chance to sample a bit of everything you order.
The establishment offers al fresco dining alongside the sidewalk as well as inside. A canopy hangs overhead on the patio area to shade diners from the sun with some assistance from nearby trees. Above, the patio area, an image of the restaurant logo on the front door and a side view at night.
Conveniently located on a corner of South Main Street where the trolley frequently passes by, Flight is a restaurant and wine bar featuring culinary creations from Chef Thomas Slukenborg that will have you wondering why you never tried this place before. The interior decor is intriguing with an upstairs loft-like section connected by a staircase beside the bar. High ceilings invite a roomy feel, while a coziness and comfort invite you into this sophisticated and elegant establishment.
The photos above display the first floor view of the lounge area from our table for two, a wall shelved with unlimited bottles of wine, a descending stairwell descending from the upstairs level, our menu and the beautiful wood and glassed-in front entry and chandelier hanging above happy patrons and satisfied diners.
Flight is known for their ‘flights’ of wines, among other items. However, we went for both the flight-style items as we’ll as for full servings. Above, a couple of glasses of a delicious Cabernet that we frequently enjoy when dining out started us off on the right path before ordering dinner.Don’t think the folks at Flight don’t know wine, because they were awarded the 2011 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. That says it all right there!
We were hungry and ready to indulge on this particular evening. So to start, we ordered a Salad Flight to share, which offered proportionate tastes of three salads…a specialty salad of the evening (with red onions, arugula and an onion-based vinaigrette), the classic Baby Iceberg Salad (with Maytag Blue Cheese, apple wood smoked bacon and grape tomatoes) and a Strawberry Salad with red onion, sweet sliced strawberries and macadamia nuts on a bed of arugula.
The ‘Cut of the Day’ (Filet Mignon) With Truffled Macaroni and Asparagus
For our dinner entrees, we both chose the Filet Mignon with a delectable sinfully tasty truffled macaroni and cheese and a charred tomato demi-glace. The photo above is merely a glimpse of how incredible this tender, perfectly-prepared beef was. How about melt-in-your-mouth fabulousness! With us enjoying the Salad Flight and each indulging in our own Filet Mignon with creamy truffled mac & cheese, there really was no room for dessert. Instead, we each enjoyed a couple more glasses of wine and called it a night. Both happily stuffed, loving the romantic and intimate ambiance inside the restaurant and thrilled that we gave the place a chance in the first place. We would have really missed out on such culinary splendor if we had passed it up for something else that evening. Boy, were we lucky!
The stunning ambiance, crafty artistry in the presentation of liquid treats and meticulously-plated, colorfully vibrant cuisine, terrific service from our server and a romantic and comfortable atmosphere made Flight a winner on our SavorHour.com list for our favorite restaurant in Memphis!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Beautifully touched with an aviation theme upon entering, the realization of the name becomes evident when you receive your menu. Meals are available in “flight-style”, which allow for a sampling of most anything you can think of. The intimate and romantic environment both inside and on the front patio is relaxing and welcoming.
- FOOD / DRINK: Wonderful, delicious, memorable and uniquely served in “flight-style” portions as well as traditional full entree sizes.
- LOCATION: Conveniently located at 39 South Main Street in Memphis, TN 38103
- HOURS: Flight is available for service Monday through Saturday from 11AM – 3AM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Extraordinary service and attention to detail, kind demeanor and skilled in superior customer service.
- PRICE / VALUE: For having paid in excess of $160 for a few extremely amazing glasses of wine, a salad flight and two unbelievably delicious Filet Mignon entrees, we believe that the value of what we received between the quality of the service, the cuisine and the general ambiance was astoundingly acceptable.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (901) 521-8005, Webiste: www.flightmemphis.com
- PARKING: Valet parking is complimentary every night at Flight.
- TOTAL BILL: Our total bill came in just over $170 (including tax) for a few very nice glasses of wine, the salad flight, and two incredible Filet Mignon Entrees. Well worth the splurge, worth the visit and well worth returning again!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.