After dropping some friends off at LAX, my husband suggested having a late lunch at McCormick & Schmick’s in El Segundo. Frequenting the restaurant often for business, my husband thought it would be a nice spot close by for lunch together since we were in the neighborhood.
Specializing in seafood and shellfish, aged-to-perfection steaks and garden fresh salads, McCormick & Schmick’s also offers a constantly-changing menu. Each of the more than eighty restaurants print their menu daily! It’s true! We think that is so terrific. This is done to ensure that only the highest and best quality items available are served to dining patrons.
In addition to that, the El Segundo McCormick & Schmick’s presents a very inviting and warm ambiance as you walk through the establishment. Below, you can see the wood and glass paneled walls in the main dining room inside, the lounge area boasting an enormous bar with knowledgeable bartenders, the main entrance where an oyster display on ice is enhanced by a nearby swordfish mounted on a stainless steel covered wall and the dazzling glass ceiling hallway that leads past nicely-appointed banquet rooms on the way to the outdoor dining patio…
Having lunch on a beautiful day in southern California is not a hard thing to do considering how magnificent the weather is here. However, having lunch on a beautiful day on a beautiful outdoor patio can be tricky if you’re not sure where to do it. A sure bet is at the El Segundo McCormick & Schmick’s…
Above, I snapped this photo from where we were seated. We were lucky enough to arrive for lunch between the lunch and dinner crowds, so we had our pick of tables. This beautiful wooden arbor with wire-fashioned light spheres hanging from it was one of our views.
To our right, the view above encompassed comfortable patio furniture in front of a marvelous outdoor fireplace, plasma screen televisions for sports season gatherings and high-reaching palm trees overlooking the patio as they kept a watchful eye on us while we dined.
These creatively-fashioned wire spheres are actually lights hanging from the slatted ceilings of the trellised patio. I can only imagine the inviting environment these must create after the sun goes down. If any of our readers know where we can get some of these for our own patio, please let us know!
Time for chilled refreshments before ordering! My husband enjoyed a glass of Champagne, while I sipped from a cold glass of Chardonnay…
Above, the outdoor fireplace I mentioned earlier on the patio…enormous and commanding, this is the main centerpiece of the dining space out of doors. We will have to return for dinner to experience the evening ambiance!
Lunch is started with an amazing sourdough bread served with a ramekin of chilled sweet cream butter. This is the sort of carbohydrate I could feast on for days…therefore, I forced my husband to keep it on his side of the table so that I could resist temptation. I did tear off a small bite just to taste, and was delivered to another place entirely. A good place. A place of carbohydrate and butter happiness…even if just for a moment until that bite was devoured and was nothing more than a memory. Bottom line…the bread at McCormick & Schmick’s is gratifying and tasty!
Walnut Mixed Greens Salad
I started with a small salad before our entrees were delivered. This would make a terrific entree salad as well. This Walnut Mixed Greens Salad ($7.95) is prepared with mixed greens, candied walnuts, blue cheese crumbles and a savory balsamic vinaigrette dressing that covers every last morsel on your plate. The blue cheese is creamy and is a perfect flavor contrast to the sweet candied walnuts, while the creamy vinaigrette that coats the mixed greens really delivers.
For our main courses, we both chose one of McCormick & Schmick’s well-known items…their fish! Below, my husband decided upon the Parmesan Crusted Sole with a Lemon Caper Butter Sauce and butternut squash orzo ($15.95).
Parmesan Crusted Sole
Both of our fish entrees were served with the below butternut squash orzo…green peas, tender orzo, succulent butternut squash and accompanied by carrots and asparagus on the side…
Butternut Squash Orzo
My choice for lunch was also a fish selection…the Almond Crusted Rainbow Trout with a Lemon Butter Sauce and the same butternut squash orzo pictured above.
Almond Crusted Rainbow Trout
Another delicious salad creation from the kitchen of McCormick & Schmick’s is the Lobster Cobb Salad, which as you can see below, is quite visually stimulating with its tower of layers of crumbled bacon, egg, blue cheese, lettuce, tomato, and succulent lobster claw meat…
Lobster Cobb Salad
In the photo below, I started to break down the tower of goodness to show all of the colorful and savory layers of delicious ingredients…
Lobster Cobb Salad
Craving something on the sweeter side after your meal, but want to keep it light? Try the Sorbet Martini ($4.95), which is a choice of three of the restaurant’s featured sorbet flavors of the day. We chose the raspberry, lime and pear…
…and a closer look…
We’re planning to return to McCormick & Schmick’s for their Happy Hour. We hear it’s a pretty fantastic event and should be well worth reviewing in a future post. Until then, if you’re searching for an upscale yet relaxed atmosphere for lunch with acceptable prices near the airport, this is most certainly one of our high recommendations!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Inside, a traditional steakhouse feel with dark wooded and glass paneled walls, long intimate hallways, inviting banquet rooms for private parties and an entire lounge dedicated to the room-length bar ready to serve most anything you can think of. Outside, a beautifully-appointed arbor-covered outdoor patio complete with a massive fireplace, plasma televisions and swaying palms.
- FOOD / DRINK: Fresh seafood, perfectly-cooked orzo (not too soft or chewy), chilled refreshing cocktails, nicely baked warm bread served before each meal and savory creative salads that are very enjoyable.
- LOCATION: McCormick & Schmick’s is located near LAX at 2101 Rosecrans Avenue in El Segundo, CA 90245.
- HOURS: Monday through Saturday from 11AM – 11:30PM, then on Sundays from 11AM – 10:30PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Our server, Ryan, was incredible! He must really love his job at this establishment, because he was exemplary at it. Courteous, checking on us frequently without being overbearing, allowing us time to decide what we wanted and just as nice as could be. We’ll make a mental note to request his section again next time we’re there!
- PRICE / VALUE: For just under $60, we feel we received a great offering. Of course, that amount would have been much less had we not ordered wine and champagne, but we were very happy that we did due to the quality of the beverages served.
- CORKAGE FEE: $10 per bottle
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (310) 416 – 1123, Website: www.mccormickandschmicks.com
- PARKING: Valet service is provided at the restaurant’s main entrance, however, the establishment will validate your ticket if you elect to keep your vehicle in the parking garage right next door as well.
- TOTAL BILL: Our compilation of items ordered, including Chardonnay, Champagne, a Walnut Mixed Greens salad, the Almond Crusted Rainbow Trout entree and the Parmesan Crusted Sole entree came to a total of $58.57. Though very close to our $50 (including tax) goal, we’re happy to admit that this experience was most certainly worth the splurge!