The word ‘trattoria’ in Italian translates to ‘an informal Italian-style eating establishment with a neighborhood feel and the intention of making customers feel like they’re part of the family’. ‘Amici’ in Italian means ‘friends’. Trattoria Amici offers proportionate servings of both. We visited this surprising eatery tucked alongside the Hotel Beverly Terrace at the corner of Doheny Drive and Santa Monica Boulevard in Beverly Hills on two ocassions within a week of each visit. Our first trip was so incredible, we had to revisit the restaurant again before writing this review. As we suspected it would be, the service, cuisine and attention to detail were all outstanding once again.
Red cloth napkins and bright white tablecloths adorn the several bistro-style tables both indoors and on the garden patio. Tall wrought iron gates welcome you into the dining establishment’s main entrance as you walk inside along a red carpet. A natural carved hedge surrounds the outdoor dining section giving it a cozy and intimate feel, while tiny white twinkling lights are strung overhead and in the surrounding foliage. Walking into this Italian venue could not be more welcoming if it tried. We immediately felt at home as we entered this delightfully amiable neighborhood dwelling.
The owners make a successful attempt at creating the perfect setting for an intimate feasting experience. As you can see in the photos above, fresh vibrant-colored flowers are placed on each table creating a romantic allure that cannot be resisted. The flickering votive candles also add to the delightful ambiance.
Trattoria Amici offers a simple $15 corkage charge for patrons who choose to bring in their own bottles of wine to enjoy with their meal. I loved the way our waiter used the foil of the wine bottle to suspend its cork! Just a very creative little “extra” that is one of the many things this great Italian restaurant presents to its customers. The above larger picture is of our wine bottle once the cork was attached via the foil by our clever waiter. The two smaller images are of our table after our vino was opened and poured and Trattoria Amici’s bread basket accompanied by marinated fresh tomatoes and a Cannellini Bean Dip that’s just insanely delicious!
Zuppa Di Lenticchie Pinaci
Let’s start with soup! The delectable creamy Zuppa Di Lenticchie Pinaci is an organic lentil soup with fresh julienne spinach. Catchy to the eye as well as the palate, this starter is incredibly savory and enriched with only the best of ingredients. It’s perfect for a cool evening or anytime you feel like having a comforting bowl of healthy goodness!
Artichoke Puree Soup Special
Another special soup offering was the Artichoke Puree Soup above. This starter was incredible tasting and every bite included the flavor of artichoke. Simply delicious!
Parmigiana Classica Di Pollo
If you love Chicken Parmesan…I mean really LOVE the dish, you have to have it at Trattoria Amici! The Parmigiana Classica Di Pollo is a lightly breaded paillard “parmigiana” with fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce. My husband loved the way the chef served this dish. The chicken is pounded very thin, unlike other versions we’ve enjoyed. It was a nice change with all of the expected flavor and savory tomato sauce one could want.
Polleto Al Mattone Alla Fiamma
I thoroughly enjoyed the Polleto Al Mattone Alla Fiamma, which is the restaurant’s version of a half chicken that’s flame broiled with wild herbs and garlic then served with hearty potatoes and seasonal vegetables. The chicken was tender, moist and well-prepared. I finished the entire thing leaving nothing on my plate!
Bolognese Sauce and Fettuccine Alla Bolognese Di Vettelo
The chef was kind enough to prepare a tasting of their veal Bolognese sauce for my husband. This lucious bowl of heavenly Bolognese convinced my husband to order the Fettuccine Alla Bolognese Di Vetello (top right photo). With its homemade fettuccine and old fashioned veal ‘Bolognese’ sauce, a satisfied smile crossed my husband’s face. A very good sign, as he is pretty critical of most cuisines we experience.
Lasagne Alla Piemontese Di Tacchinella
I especially enjoyed the Lasagne Alla Piemontese Di Tacchinella above. This homemade lasagna with a turkey ragu and tomato sauce was tasteful, flavorsome and gratifying all at once. Have we mentioned how amazing Trattoria Amici’s tomato sauce is? In a word, it’s downright scrumptious!
Grilled Dover Sole
Above, the grilled Dover Sole presented with seasonal vegetables and topped with capers was a tasty and light choice and was one of the specials for the evening.
Grilled Lobster & Apple Salad
The Grilled Lobster & Apple Salad (above and below) was refreshing and perfect for when you want something filling, light and savory.
Grilled Lobster & Apple Salad
For dessert, we chose two sorbet selections. The Coconut Sorbet is offered in an actual coconut shell! We adored this presentation! (Another “little thing” that makes such a difference in one’s dining venture at this restaurant!) This sorbet is large enough to share between two people, and the sweet indulgent flavor will prove astonishing when you try this chilled dessert. The powdered sugar and grated coconut on top was also a nice touch.
Below, the Peach Sorbet is served in a frozen hollowed-out fresh peach then garnished with a frozen slice of the fruit. Yet another ingenious presentation from the kitchen of Trattoria Amici!
Another nice touch at Trattoria Amici is the fresh-baked chocolate-chip cookie plate that is promptly delivered to your table to enjoy. These morsels of melty milk chocolate and sweet cookie are drizzled with more chocolate on top and garnished with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Just delicious! These actually reminded me of baking cookies as a child, bringing back wonderful memories from many years ago.
House Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies
No matter what attractive options from the menu you choose, you will not go wrong. In fact, you’ll feel a bit as though you’ve dined at a cozy eatery in Italy, and you’ll be left wanting to repeat your experience over and over!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Intimate interior and garden patio setting. Romantic and worthy of a medal for the exceptional ambiance!
- FOOD / DRINK: Outstanding, authentic, memorable cuisine that will have you coming back for more.
- LOCATION: Trattoria Amici is located on the side of the Hotel Beverly Terrace on the corner of Doheny Drive and Santa Monica Boulevard at 469 North Doheny Drive in Beverly Hills, CA 90210.
- HOURS: Open daily for dinner from 5:30 PM to 10:30 PM, Monday through Saturday for lunch from 12 PM to 2:30 PM, and every Saturday for brunch between 11:30 AM and 2 PM. Remember that reservations are highly recommended, especially on the weekends, due to the available space and popularity of the establishment.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Our server, Jason, was exceptional both times we dined at Trattoria Amici. Unmatched customer service, friendly demeanor, sincere personal service and incredible attention to detail.
- PRICE / VALUE: We agree with the price range at this wonderful Italian eatery. Moderate prices for delicious authentic Italian cuisine!
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (310) 858-0271, Website: www.tamici.com
- PARKING: Parking is available along the fence opposite of the restaurant, as well as with the Hotel Valet.
- TOTAL BILL: On our first visit last Friday evening, we ordered a glass of Cabernet, an Arnold Palmer, the Zuppa Di Lenticchie, the Chicken Parmigiana, the Lasagne Alla Piemontese and the Coconut Sorbet for a total of $75.79 (including tax). Our most recent visit included a corked bottle of Pinot Noir we brought in for a $15 corkage charge, as well as the Fettuccine Alla Bolognese, the Polletto Al Mattone Alla Fiamma and the Peach Sorbet for a total of $66.78 (including tax). Both phenomenal experiences well worth the splurge!