A reputable catering and event planning company that has spun itself into a hugely successful gourmet cafe and market, Joan’s On Third has earned our vote for one of the best gourmet cafe markets around. Sophisticated, yet casual, Joan’s On Third will delight your culinary cravings, satisfy your unique market needs and have you running back to this family-owned-and-operated establishment for more!
With convenient ample seating along the storefront’s sidewalk, Joan’s On Third also offers strategically-placed accommodations inside the market. Along marble-countered windows, tucked away cafe tables in a corner just past one of the ordering counters, and at elongated community picnic-style tables, multiple groups of strangers and friends sit together to unite in their enjoyment in one of Joan’s On Third’s gourmet sandwiches, fine barista-brewed coffee beverages and other fine items inside the market. They all share a common ground…they love it here.
As my husband and I concurred with the obvious vote of the packed cafe brimming with customers that appeared like bees busy in their hive, we decided that we love it here, too. At first entry, a huge refrigerated cheese display greets you with every type of the tasty dairy product one’s mind can conjure up. I was in some sort of fantasy, I thought. A cheese fantasy called Joan’s On Third.
As we made our way around to an ordering station, the freshly-prepared morsels we witnessed through glass-housed display cases tempted us with vibrant hues and fresh aromas. An absolute daydream of brilliantly-colored gourmet eats and home-cooked favorites such as fresh-sliced fruit, grilled asparagus, spring bean salad (cucumber, corn and white beans), Waldorf shrimp salad, grilled maple rosemary chicken breasts, beef tenderloins, toasted couscous, Tree Oyster mushrooms, grilled vegetables, lentil salad, couscous (dried berries, toasted pine nuts and raspberry vinaigrette), grilled artichokes with balsamic vinaigrette, buttermilk squash salad (basil, pickled red onion, pine nuts and yogurt), originally-created wraps (chicken, Caesar and apricot-glazed ham), bulgar salad (pecans, currants and honey-orange dressing)…I could keep going, but this article would never end. In all, let’s just say that if you want it, Joan’s On Third either has it or can make it for you.
Beside the counter where we placed our orders, I couldn’t help but snap a photo of the delicious-looking fare right beside us! Fresh-baked Rosemary Chicken, colorful steamed spring vegetables, meats stewing in sauces and gravies resonating aromatic fragrances that made our mouths water…surely so savory and amazingly ambrosial that they should have broken some kind of laws in this city.
We were enamored by the huge sandwich menu hanging on a wall before us. Contemplating the many options, I noticed there was a short rib sandwich available. That meant my husband was going to select it for his lunch. I could see it coming! Lover of all things short rib, I was correct in my assessment, as my husband did in fact pick the short rib sandwich from the list of the many delectable choices. I decided on the Tarragon Chicken Salad sandwich without the bread over a bed of greens.
Walking away from the counter with a number for our table and a soda, we passed the above wall of shelved epicurean products. It literally took fifteen minutes for me to look at everything here before finally finding my husband at the table he selected for us outside! I was in some sort of gourmet nirvana that forced me to lose track of time in some way. This, for me, was like walking into Dean & Deluca…pure epicurean heaven!
Finally arriving at our table, we were greeted by a staff member who delivered a tall corked bottles of ice cold water. That was not only a nice gesture on the restaurant’s behalf, but also much needed due to the rising temperatures outdoors. Before we knew it, our ordesr were delivered by a smiling waiter…nothing took too long to receive, too long to answer or too long for someone to find out due to the more than twenty kitchen employees and servers I counted from where we sat on the patio. I’m sure there were even more than that. Despite the number, it certainly aided in no patron being left unattended to, which was very refreshing to witness.
Short Rib Sandwich
Behold…the Joan’s On Third Short Rib sandwich (above) with melted cheese, arugula, and sweet grilled red onions on a grilled Country White bread. Even the perfection of the way the kitchen staff wraps the parchment paper around their sandwiches is meticulously executed…
Tarragon Chicken Salad
The Tarragon Chicken Salad atop a bed of greens was creamy and appetizing. The enticing flavors from the tarragon in the chicken and the delightful crunch of apple and toasted pecans was spot on.
Joan’s On Third also offers a full gourmet coffee bar complete with professional barristas to assist you in selecting the perfect cup of coffee to compliment your meal. Of course, Joan’s On Third is still a popular catering company and event planning business, which will delight in catering your next special occasion, corporate event or any other reason for a beautifully appointed opportunity. We liked what we saw and experiences here, and recommend it to all of our readers!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Quaint, cozy, sophisticated without being too upscale, and a terrific place to get most any epicurean delicacy or trimming you have a desire for!
- FOOD / DRINK: Fresh ingredients, quickly prepared, beautiful presentation and meticulous delivery of a pretty darn great sandwich and salad!
- LOCATION: Joan’s On Third is located at 8350 West Third Street in Los Angeles, CA 90048.
- HOURS: Joan’s On Third serves their patrons Monday through Saturday from 8 AM – 8 PM, and on Sundays from 8 AM – 6 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Servers and waitstaff swarm this venue making sure customers’ needs are unattended, orders are brought quickly to the tables and every employee remembers to smile and genuinely seems like they enjoy being there.
- PRICE / VALUE: We feel the price was reasonable and comparable to other such restaurants with a market/cafe/kitchen concept. It can get a bit crowded, however, but we found that there is a smooth transition between arriving, getting a table and departing, as the venue is so large now compared to its size previously.
- CORKAGE FEE: Joan’s On Third does not allow outside alcohol on the premises.
- CONTACT: Phone: (323) 655-2285, Website: www.joansonthird.com
- PARKING: There is parking behind the restaurant advertised on the restaurant’s website as well as metered street parking in front.
- TOTAL BILL: We paid $25.82 for a canned soda, the Short Rib Sandwich and the Tarragon Chicken Salad (no bread, but placed on a bed of greens). We also had a tall icy cold bottle of water and cups delivered to the table for no additional charge.
* Menus and prices subject to change without notice.