Located in the historic district of downtown Oklahoma City exists a wine bar and bistro called The Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro. Recently recognized by Cornell University as one of the country’s best “gourmet” restaurants, we had the opportunity to experience just why it is one of the city’s best eateries.
Upon entering after dark for dinner, my husband and I were seated at a cozy booth surrounded by candlelight. The atmosphere was that of an upscale establishment with a casual, yet elegant flair.
Our meal started with a delicious flavorful bread being served to us by a friendly professional waiter. An emphasis of “taking our time” while we were there was suggested, and we did just that as we ordered a couple of glasses of wine to start out…
My husband ordered a delicious Cabernet, while I enjoyed a Merlot that our waiter hand selected for me…
For salad selections, we had the House Salad and the Spinach Salad. Below, my husband savored this fresh and colorful collaboration of flavor with cucumber, currants, bleu cheese, grape tomatoes and a roasted red bell pepper vinaigrette dressing that tied the entire dish of palatable vegetables together…
I went for the Spinach Salad, (below), which included raspberry caramelized onions, bleu cheese, candied pecans, sliced apple and a honey balsamic vinaigrette. I enjoyed the sweetness and crunch of the candied pecans and the contrast of essence between the creamy bleu cheese and the full-flavored vinaigrette.
For my entree, I chose Mantel’s Blackened Ahi Tuna. Pan seared Ahi tuna with roasted poblano and sweet corn risotto, a vegetable of the day and enhanced with a mouthwatering champagne blackberry reduction…
Pan Seared Blackened Ahi Tuna
The below is my husband’s entree…the twelve-ounce Prime New York Strip served with steamed asparagus, fingerling potatoes and a whiskey mushroom cream sauce…
12-Ounce Prime New York Strip
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: The Mantel is a casual, yet sophisticated-styled bistro, wine bar and restaurant with a comfortable and inviting ambiance. A terrific place for a late-night dinner, and we can imagine it would be perfect as well most any time of the day or evening.
- FOOD / DRINK: Succulent dishes, savory wines and beautiful presentations from the chef.
- LOCATION: The Mantel WIne Bar & Bistro is located at 201 East Sheridan in the historic district of downtown Oklahoma City, OK 73104.
- HOURS: Dining is available Monday through Thursday from 11 AM to 10 PM, Fridays from 11 AM to 11 PM, Saturdays from 5 PM to 11 PM, and on Sundays from 5 PM to 9 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: We experienced excellent attentive service from our waiter at The Mantel. Professional, courteous and willing to make suggestions for us.
- PRICE / VALUE: Great meals, terrific prices and incredible value!
- CORKAGE: No outside alcohol is allowed into the restaurant.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (405) 236-8040, Website: www.themantelokc.com
- PARKING: There is a parking lot for patrons outside the front of the restaurant, as well as valet service for your convenience.
- TOTAL BILL: Our final bill came in just over $85, however it was well worth the splurge! We’ll definitely return for dinner on our next visit to Oklahoma City!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.