Well, we said we would do it, and we did. After our experience in Miami at the Truluck’s restaurant there, we had to try the one in San Diego to see if it compared. And compare it did! There’s really nothing negative we can say about this seafood and steak restaurant. It’s more of an institution really. The quality, consistency, precision to detail, competitive customer service and above average overall ambiance is just incredible. Known countrywide for their incredible award-winning seafood, stone crab claws, and succulent steaks, Truluck’s is by far a leading company far ahead of the game.
The entrance to the San Diego Truluck’s near La Jolla is welcoming, offers spacious outdoor patios and allows for most any celebration to be enjoyed easily.
Above, the huge glass-encased wine cellar right next to our table. We dined at the Captain’s Table, which is where the owner sits when he visits the restaurant. Request this location when you have dinner here. The view from the table allows for oversight of most everything going on in the establishment from the lounge, the entertainment at the Baby Grand and the entire restaurant. No wonder Truluck’s San Diego was voted “Best Wine List” in 2011 by the San Diego Magazine Reader’s Poll and The Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence!
But that’s not the only recognition this specific Truluck’s has received. There’s much more to their list of accreditations:
Best of the Best 2011 / 2012 and Best Seafood 2011 / 2012 by the San Diego Magazine Reader’s Poll, the Best Service 2012 San Diego Magazine Critic’s Choice Award, Best Happy Hour 2011 and Best Service 2011 by San Diego Magazine Reader’s Poll, Best of the Best, Best Seafood, Most Impressive Decor, Best Service and Happiest Happy Hour by San Diego Home & Garden Lifestyles, Best Service, Best Wine List, and Best Seafood by SanDiegoRestaurants.com (Diner’s Poll), Best Steak by La Jolla Light Reader’s Poll, and was rated Excellent for food and service in 2011 by Zagat. And there are plenty more where those came from!
The Truluck’s menu…just wait until you see what’s inside!
Fresh Delectable Bread Service
Fresh crusty bread is promptly served to the table by an attentive waiter. Chilled sweet cream butter is also provided.
Crab Display Before Ordering
The presentation of one of Truluck’s best-known specialties…crab claws…is presented to patrons before ordering. This is not only entertaining, but the visual enchantment is also worth while. I snapped a photo as our server was explaining their offerings of the evening above.
Pinot Noir Selection From the Wine Cellar
Upon arriving, we chose a bottle of 2009 Tolosa Pinot Noir, which we both enjoyed. Its huge nose and delicious finish was perfect for sipping while waiting to be served dinner.
Large Stone Crab Claws
As a starter, we selected four of Truluck’s Stone Crab claws. Pre-cracked for ease of enjoying and served over ice with lemon and a creamy tasteful sauce, we knew these would be delectable. And they were!
Truluck’s Wedge Salad
Next, we agreed to share one of the Wedge Salads, which was so memorable from our visit to the Miami, FL Truluck’s. It was just as good at this locale, if not better! Crisp, chilled and a beautiful visual presentation with all the flavor sensations we remembered from before.
Filet Mignon Oscar-Style
Above and below, the Filet Oscar was cooked to a perfect medium temperature and was accompanied with an Oscar topping of grilled asparagus, fresh crab meat and Bearnaise sauce. What a beautifully presented and visually-pleasing contract against the brilliant green asparagus. We did, however, get a little carried away with the Bearnaise sauce!
Interior View of the Filet Mignon…with Extra Bearnaise Sauce!
We enjoyed the below dish so much during our Truluck’s experience in Miami that we had to get it again in CA. The Miso-Glazed Sea Bass…MSC certified South Georgia Chilean Sea Bass served with crab fried rice and a chilled cucumber slaw. Immensely satisfying from first bite to the last taste on your fork, this is one of our all-time favorite Sea Bass dishes ever! The crab fried rice beneath is tender and erupting with flavor, while the Chilean Sea Bass is delicate, tender and almost melts in your mouth upon contact!
Miso- Glazed Sea Bass with Crab Fried Rice
Of course, our server had to present us with their dessert tray after dinner. The below left photo shows Truluck’s extensive array of sweet temptations. However, you already know what we ordered, probably…the Carrot Cake! A little coffee on the side led to the perfect conclusion to a wonderful meal, spectacular service and amazing ambiance!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Having been voted ‘ Most Impressive Decor’ by San Diego Home & Garden Lifestyles, there’s reason this happened. Truluck’s signature underwater vases of pale pink orchids are displayed atop the division wall between the lounge and the main restaurant, while the upscale feel of the steakhouse and seafood haven will have you relaxed, feeling at home and enjoying the intricate detailed design of the entire establishment.
- FOOD / DRINK: Amazing Stone crab claws, succulent steaks, crisp salads and refreshing beverages. There’s not a thing that we found to be unsatisfactory during our attendance for dinner.
- LOCATION: This Truluck’s restaurant is located near La Jolla at 8990 University Center Lane in San Diego, CA 92122.
- HOURS: Truluck’s in San Diego is open daily for Dinner Monday through Saturday from 5 PM – 10 PM, and on Sunday evenings from 5 Pm – 9 PM. The Stone Crab lounge is open daily from 4:30 PM, where cocktail hour is presented until 7:30 PM Monday through Sunday.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Todd Perry, a managing partner of the establishment, made sure we were seated in a satisfactory location with a beautiful view inside of the entire restaurant. Corey was our waiter, and we cannot express in words his exemplary service. Corey was informative, enlightening, amusing and supportive throughout our entire meal. We’ll be sure to request his section the next time we dine at the San Diego Truluck’s.
- PRICE / VALUE: Taking a look at what we enjoyed for dinner, we expected the price for everything to exceed $100, which it did. But well worth the splurge, and well worth the additional consideration when we added in the quality of the cuisine we enjoyed, the incredible and attentive service and the stunning interior decor.
- CORKAGE FEE: $20 per bottle, just remember that on Wednesdays if you purchase a bottle of select wine or champagne from the bar, they will give you 50% off the regular price!
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (858) 453-2583, Website: www.trulucks.com
- PARKING: Self parking is available for guests in the adjacent parking garage, however we recommend the valet service for a simple $8. It will save you a lot of time and allow you to relax and not have to worry about parking your vehicle.
- TOTAL BILL: Our total bill came in over $100, but we were more than happy to accept that charge considering what we received.