UNFORTUNATELY, THIS RESTAURANT IS NOW CLOSED.
Nestled in the Sherman Oaks Galleria Mall sits a cozy, modernly-designed restaurant called Townhouse Kitchen + Bar. On the way to an evening function with friends that live in Sherman Oaks, my husband and I elected to leave early and stop in and see what they had to offer before meeting our friends.
To our contentment, the eatery was very appealing to the eye when we entered. Sage-green leather booths lined the walls of the dining areas of the restaurant portion, while natural colors warmed the expanse of the entire establishment. Wood-paneled walls give the place a cozy feel, while lighted candles are places all around the bar. Speaking of the bar, it is huge. In fact, the bar takes up nearly half of the establishment. It’s black granite wrap-around counter top provides many seating options for patrons.
Townhouse Kitchen + Bar presents their regular Happy Hour Monday through Friday from 4-7PM. Then, every night, from 11PM to closing, they start their Reverse Happy Hour (for us night owls). Yay! And it’s a great Happy Hour. For $5, you can choose from FOURTEEN cocktails! Such liquid splendors include the Pomegranate Martini, the Decadent Chic Martini, the Cucumber Martini, the Fire and Ice Martini, the Dirty CEO Martini, the Pear Martini, the Mojito, the Berry Mojito, the Coconut and Lime Mojito, the Whiskey Peach, the Townhouse Margarita, the Pomegranate Margarita and the Diva.
We tried the Pear Martini, which includes Absolut Pear, St. Germaine liquer and pear juice garnished with a slice of crisp pear. We especially loved the short martini glasses they served our drinks in. Modern and not so easy to tip over (we’ve all had THAT happen a time or two), these drinking vessels offer a uniqueness to any martini. We also ordered the Fire and Ice Martini, which was really interesting: Absolute Ruby Red, jalepeno juice and fresh lemon…and of course garnished with a slice of jalapeno pepper! Surprisingly, not as fiery as we expected. I even ate the slice of jalapeno pepper when I was finished with the concoction with no trouble. The Cucumber Martini is also quite refreshing. Made with Smirnoff Melon, muddled cucumber, simple syrup, fresh lime and garnished with a slice of cucumber, we appreciated the simplicity and flavor of this special drink. Oh, and there are also eight $5 Happy Hour wines to take advantage of. And for you beer lovers out there, there’s $4 Draft Beer and the $3 Beer of the Month!
Townhouse Kitchen + Bar’s Coconut Lime Mojito is also very refreshing. Not too sweet, this spruced-up classic Cuban concoction was a winner with us. Made with Malibu Rum, Bacardi Limon, lime juice, muddled mint leaves, simple syrup and garnished nicely with a straw-sized stalk of sugarcane, anyone would enjoy this tasty mixture. It’s light emerald color is also a sight to admire!
Now that we’ve covered a few of Townhouse Kitchen + Bar’s incredible cocktails, it’s time to get into the Bar Bites. Like their Happy Hour libation menu, the appetizer list is quite comprehensive. That list includes the Margherita Flatbread, Crispy Calamari, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Steak Quesadilla, Buffalo Chicken Tenders, Potato Chips & Dip, BBQ Chicken Flatbread, Warm Pretzel Sticks, Cheeseburger Sliders and BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders. All for just $5 each! We indulged in a couple while we were there. We tried the Steak Quesadilla and had to try the Cheeseburger Sliders because Townhouse Kitchen+ Bar was named “Top Burger Restaurant” in the Los Angeles area by Haute Living! (It would have been silly to not try their award-worthy burgers). And they did deliver without disappointment…
The Cheeseburger sliders were juicy, not overcooked and smelled incredible. Served with fried onion strings, these mouth-watering baby beef temptations are prepared with apple-smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, pickles and are served on toasted mini buns with ketchup on the side.
The Steak Quesadilla below, with its Pepperjack cheese, avocado, and tender steak is accompanied by a flavorful mango salsa and topped with a drizzle of chipotle sour cream on top. We did not find these spicy at all by any means, despite the chipotle sour cream and the Pepperjack cheese inside the dish. Just tender beef, oozy cheese and a tortilla covering that was tender and crisp.
On the back of the Happy Hour menu, you will find Townhouse Kitchen + Bar’s “House Rules”. They’re simple, comprehendable and to the point: “LIFE’S SHORT. DRINK GOOD WINE. NO SMOKING INDOORS. OUTDOORS? OK. SAVE WATER. DRINK BEER. FEEL FREE TO TALK TO STRANGERS. INTOXICATED? WE’LL CALL YOU A CAB. NO COVER CHARGE.”
In short, we liked the open space in the bar and dining areas. We enjoyed the friendly service our bartender Larry paid us. And we were happy to find another late-night spot where we can go to grab a drink and a bite or two. And we appreciated the fact that anyone can get a lot for under $50 (including tax).
Also, if you leave your vehicle in the Galleria parking garage, be sure to have the hostess validate your parking ticket. They will validate up to 2 hours at this restaurant.
- DECOR / ESTABLISHMENT: The natural colors, wood-paneled walls with brick detail, modern style and spacious dining and lounge areas were great to see. At the start of the Reverse Happy Hour, (especially on Friday nights), the feel is of that in a hip nightclub with feel-good, heart-pumping music and an eclectic crowd.
- FOOD / DRINKS: The quality of the appetizers was outstanding, while the cocktails were tasty, chilled and rejuvenating! We’ve never seen such an extensive list of Happy Hour appetizers AND cocktails!
- LOCATION: 15301 Ventura Boulevard, Sherman Oaks CA 91413 in the Sherman Oaks Galleria Mall.
- HOURS: Townhouse Kitchen + Bar is open Monday through Saturday from 11 AM – 2 AM, and Sundays from 11 AM – midnight.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Larry was our bartender, and not only was he courteous, but he had a great attitude and impressed us with his bartending skills and multitasking excellence. We’ll definitely make sure he’s working the next time we return.
- PRICE / VALUE: Reasonable prices for the value and quality of the food and bar offerings.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per bottle every day in the restaurant or bar areas.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone – (818) 453-9900, Website: http://www.restaurants-america.com/restaurants/6-townhouse
- TOTAL BILL: $37.06 for the Cheeseburger Sliders, a Steak Quesadilla, three Happy Hour martinis an a Coconut Lime Mojito.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.