On the corner of South La Cienega Boulevard in Beverly Hills on the famed “Restaurant Row” sits a steakhouse you’ve probably heard of: Morton’s. Inside the restaurant sits Bar 12/21. Tucked off to the side of the restaurant as you enter the main threshold, you will find that this lounge not only offers great deals on their Happy Hour libations and edibles, but also hosts a feel of elegant comfort and charm.
Bar 12/21 got it’s name from the opening date of the original Morton’s in Chicago, IL on December 21,1978. Hence it’s name, 12/21. Besides their high standards for keeping their cherished customers happy and the intimate feel Morton’s is commonly known for, Bar 12/21 offers an astonishing Happy Hour they call their “Power Hour”. In fact, it’s not just one hour. It’s several hours. Bar 12/21′s “Power Hour” is available Sundays through Fridays from opening to 6:30pm. But wait…it gets better. There’s a reverse “Power Hour” again from 9pm until closing (11PM) on the same days. (We LOVE double Happy Hours)!
Let’s talk “Power Hour!” Bar 12/21 offers Bar Bites at an unreasonably terrific value. Their list of goodies includes: Iceberg Wedge Bites for $6 – normally $10.50 (four mini wedge salads with tomatoes, bacon bits, egg and Blue Cheese dressing), Blue Cheese Steak Fries for $6 - normally $10.50 (fries with red pepper flakes, melted blue cheese and chives), Chicken Goujonettes for $6 - normally $11.50 (crispy chicken strips with a mustard mayonnaise), Mini Crab Cake BLTs for $7 – normally $16 (three crab cakes served on silver dollar rolls with bacon, lettuce, tomato and mustard), Smoked Salmon Pizza for $7 – normally $15 (Morton’s smoked salmon with capers and purple onion layered on a warm crust with dill sour cream), Prime Cheeseburgers for $7 – normally $14 (three cheeseburgers served on silver dollar rolls with lettuce, tomato and purple onion), and their Four Petite Filet Mignon Sandwiches for $7 – normally $15 (with a mustard mayonnaise). But wait…that’s just their Bar Bites menu. Their beverage menu offers the following: Beer for $5 (Sam Adams-Seasonal, Budweiser, Bud Light, Heineken and Heineken Light), Wines for $6.50 (Canyon Road Chardonnay, Cavit Pinot Grigio, Montevina White Zinfandel, BV “Coastal Estates” Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Crest “Two Vines” Merlot, Colores del Sol “Reserva” Malbec), and fabulous Mortinis, (LOVE the name!), for $7.50 each (Power Hour Vodka Mortini, Power Hour Gin Mortini, Power Hour Cosmopolitan, Power Hour Manhattan, and their Power Hour Mojito). (Phew… thought I wasn’t going to make all that in one breath)! Needless to say, Bar 12/21 offers an extensive collection of Power Hour libations and Bar Bites sure to please anyone.
Above, I indulged in a Power Hour Cosmopolitan, while my husband enjoyed a Power Hour Mojito. Both were prepared quickly, hand-made in front of us and blended to perfection. We were pleased to discover that both beverages were quite refreshing and beautiful in color. The Cosmopolitan wasn’t too fruity or sweet, and the Mojito wasn’t too minty or sugary. They were both perfect. Our bartender, Taylor, was extremely pleasant and offered a kind smile.
We placed our order for appetizers after I ordered another Cosmo leaving us anxiously awaiting and curious about the food we were soon to receive. If the Power Hour cocktails were any indication of the quality of the upcoming Bar Bites, we were certainly in for a treat. We selected the Iceberg Wedge Bites, the Smoked Salmon Pizza and the Four Petite Filet Mignon Sandwiches. We were right. The cocktails were indeed an indication of the greatness of the food. Here are photos of what we ordered, then happily consumed:
We had more than enough to eat with the three appetizers we ordered. Our total bill came in under $50, however for the type of establishment it is, it was a great deal for the two of us.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Upscale, old-style lounge with several separate bar tables and a popular main bar area along windows that overlook the Boulevard.
- FOOD / DRINK: The hand-crafted cocktails were phenomenal, while the Bar Bites we had definitely delivered.
- LOCATION: Located adjacent to the SLS Hotel at 435 South La Cienega Boulevard in Beverly Hills, CA 90086.
- HOURS: Power Hour in Bar 1221 is available Sunday through Friday from 5 PM – 6:30, and again from 9 PM until closing (usually 11 PM).
- SERVICE / STAFF: The service we received from our bartender was to our satisfaction. Her kindness and professional attitude were appreciated.
- PRICE / VALUE: The combined price of our appetizers and cocktails was under $50, but the value of everything from the staff to the drinks to the food to the establishment proved well worth it.
- CORKAGE: The corkage fee in the bar is $25 per bottle. (SHOCKING!!!). But their wine selection is well worth ordering there.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone – (310) 246-1501, Website- www.mortons.com/beverlyhills
- TOTAL BILL: $47.83 (including tax) for two Martinis, one Mojito, a fairly sizable Smoked Salmon Pizza, a plate of Petite Filet Mignonette Sandwiches, and the Iceberg Wedge Bites.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.