Got a Kraving? So did we when we headed to Kravings in Tarzana, CA this past week. We don’t get out to Tarzana much, but we received some great reports from our sources about this place, so we thought we’d get to work reviewing this for all our readers! Kravings is a world fusion steakhouse combining cuisines from Brazil, the Middle East, Japan and India. This restaurant is based on the Brazilian Rodizio serving style. In a nutshell, you pay one price and you keep getting served until you say you’re done! Sounds great to us! But we’re here to report on the Happy Hour at Kravngs, so let’s get started! (We wouldn’t want to leave you in suspense)!
The lounge at Kravings is contemporary and romantic. Red and black are the predominant colors in sight as you enter this chic room. Silver, beaded narrow chandeliers hang from the ceiling providing an allure to this modern gathering spot. Cozy booths line both walls, while beautifully-decorated tables exist in the center on your approach to the bar. Accents in red…pillows, napkins, lighting and candle holders, catch your eye and invite you in.
On one side of the lounge, red blinds and booths await your dining company as delicate chain-link curtains create a mystery as to what could lie beyond. Romance and intrigue? An informal business meeting? A reunion of long-lost lovers meeting for a drink after a lifetime apart? Ah, the possibilities are endless. The lounge possesses an intimate and upscale feel and offers modern touches of art on the walls. You’ll see avant-garde depictions of Marilyn Monroe and large-screen plasma televisions against a brick wall beside the bar while you feast your eyes (and appetite) on a Happy Hour menu sure to exhilarate your every desire and incite your every taste bud.
Speaking of desires, you’ll be desiring the appetizers and cocktails at Kravings when you see what’s being offered! Served at the bar seven days a week from 4-7PM, and also during the Reverse Happy Hour Wednesday through Saturday from 10-11PM, you can refresh yourself with one of several adult concoctions prepared specially by knowledgeable and talented bartenders.
First of all, all Smirnoff Highball Drinks are only $5. For just $6 each, you can enjoy the Caipirinha (in photo above),the national drink of Brazil that’s mixed with Leblon Cachaca (Premium Brazilian Rum), the Pomegranate Martini made with Absolut Berri Acai (see picture further down), the Absolut Bellini created using Absolut Apeach and Champagne or the Smirnoff Straight Martini. Coming in for a dollar more, the Lemon Drop Martini with Grey Goose le Citron and the White Cosmo (in above photo) shaken with Absolut Citron and St. Germain liqueur are available for $7 apiece. Rounding out the Happy Hour cocktails is the Belvedere Dry Martini for a mere $8. Hand-stuffed with blue cheese olives, this brew is sure to win your attention and approval.
Kravings also suggests several select wines and Champagnes for 1/2 off the original price, as well as their popular 21-ounce Frosted Mug of Draft beer for only $4. I just love how they serve their martinis…beautifully garnished and in a frosted martini glass! Nice touch!
The Appetizer & Light Entree list spans from $1.35 each for Blue Point Oysters to $15.95 for the Famous Lamb Chops, but it’s the Bar Bites we really want to highlight. All a mere $5 each, there are the Baby Back Ribs served three to a order with a signature pomegranate BBQ sauce, the Oysters Rockefeller served three to an order with a special dynamite sauce, the Eggplant Humus accompanied with fresh pita bread, the sushi grade Seared Ahi Tuna with wasabi yuzu sauce, the Chimichurri French Fries cooked with olive oil, herbs and garlic, the Medjool Dates Wrapped in Smoked Bacon with blue cheese, brie and walnuts inside that arrive four to a plate. YUM!
But hang on a second, because there’s more! Kravings also serves their Flat Bread Pizzas for $5 each also. There are five to choose from. You can try the Steak Flat Bread with purple onion and bell pepper, the Portobella Mushroom Flat Bread with gorgonzola cheese, the the Grilled Pineapple Flat Bread, also with bell pepper and purple onion. Additionally, the Grilled Chicken Flat Bread with BBQ sauce, cheese and purple onion was one of our favorites. Another one we put our seal of approval on was the Pear & Goat Cheese Flat Bread Pizza, which comes with caramalized onions and mozzarella cheese and just oozes with happiness and flavor!
The bacon-wrapped skewered dates (above and below) are out of this world. The bacon possesses a gentle smoky flavor, while the sweetness of the dates is gently counteracted with the blue cheese and brie hidden inside. A slight crunch of walnuts is a nice surprise also. They’re just a fantastic item to enjoy!
The Grilled Chicken Flat Bread with BBQ sauce below really blew me away. Bursting with incredible flavor, sweetness and tang from the BBQ sauce and a nice crunchy base, this was one of my favorite selections. The purple onion also gave a nice zing to the conglomeration of tastes. The grilled chicken was cooked perfectly and tender throughout. If you like chicken and you like BBQ, this is the appetizer for you! I could eat these and the date appetizers all night and never get tired of them!
Another delicious temptation at Kravings during Happy Hour is their Pear & Goat Cheese Flat Bread Pizza (below). SO GOOD! A crispy crust supports layers of thinly-sliced sweet fresh pear. The goat cheese compliments the fruit nicely, while the mozzarella holds everything together and gives the entire dish a lovely finish.
Kravings also offers a Bar Menu that you can take advantage of as well as a full cocktail menu, endless wines, sake and port selections. The “at-the-bar-only” menu consists of such indulgences as Tapas and Cheese Plates, fresh seafood platters, fresh salads and flat bread sandwiches. Take a look at the restaurant link below to see everything available at the bar and lounge. And if you’re ever in the mood for world fusion cooking in an intimate colorful abode, call ahead for a reservation to this unique establishment for dinner sometime.
Overall, we enjoyed our experience at Kravings. Our server, Adam, was courteous, made suggestions to assist us when we asked and was just an all-around great guy. We’ll definitely come back again when in the area. When we do, I’m going to try the Kravings Kiwi Martini. It’s made with Belvedere Vodka, Monin Kiwi and a whole muddled fresh kiwi. (I love kiwis)! It’s $12 and not on Happy Hour, but I’m going to treat myself next time. It just looked that good! I would have tried one, but I would have exceeded out “under $50 (including tax) rule!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: The reds and blacks and modernly sleek feel to the lounge at Kravings is seductive, alluring, intimate and romantic. The space is cozy without feeling too cramped or overcrowded.
- FOOD / DRINK: Delicious appetizers, flavorful cocktails and at their Happy Hour prices, that combination is a sure winner.
- HOURS: Kravings serves Lunch Tuesday through Friday from 11:30AM – 2:30PM, Brunch on Saturday and Sundays from 11:30AM – 3:30PM, Dinner on Mondays and Tuesdays from 5:30PM – 9:30PM, Wednesday through Saturday from 5:30PM – 11:30PM, and on Sundays from 5:30PM – 9PM. The bar is available Mondays and Tuesdays from 4PM – 10PM, Wednesday through Saturday from 4PM – 12AM, and on Sundays from 4PM -9:30PM. Aditionally, Happy Hour lasts daily from 4PM – 7PM. then Wednesdays through Saturdays, there is an additional Reverse Happy Hour again from 10Pm – 11PM.
- LOCATION:18663 Ventura Boulevard, Tarzana CA 91356
- SERVICE / STAFF: Service was prompt and our server, Adam, was efficient, courteous and happy to offer suggestions on the menu. No grumpy attitudes here!
- PRICE / VALUE: Some of the most flavorful Flat Bread Pizzas we’ve had in a while, and huge martinis in frosted glasses. Great attitudes prevail here, and we couldn’t have been happier with the prices for the value of everything.
- CORKAGE FEE: $20 per bottle.
- PARKING: 1-Hour customer parking is available outside the restaurant in the customer parking spaces. there is also a parking structure just behind the restaurant.
- TOTAL BILL: For everything we enjoyed, our bill was under $40. Not bad for three cocktails, two flat bread pizzas, and Kravings’ incredible Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.