This is where it all started for me. My absolute adoration of this restaurant chain featuring classic upscale renditions of American classsics and a few original creations as well. Years ago, a group of college friends and I stopped in for lunch at the Houston’s Restaurant in Metairie, Louisiana and I was sold on the spot. The feel of this place was amazing. There was a sophisticated air to the environment where the staff was well-advised to please patrons, and where a lunch date with friends turned into one of the most memorable experiences for me.
The mood of the establishment is inviting and spacious. Cozy dimly-lit nooks and comforting seats at a large full bar make for a pleasing and accommodating start to one’s evening. Colorful sea creatures swim in an aquatic tank beside the lounge watching passers-by while guests await a table to experience dining in this popular eatery. Unique and at times whimsical decor creates a fun and lively ambiance, which brings forth conversation and laughter along with good times.
Chicago-Style Spinach Dip
The Chicago-Style Spinach Dip is one flavorsome appetizer that we have enjoyed on numerous visits to this particular location. Cooked spinach and artichokes are joined together with gooey Parmesan and other cheeses to create a mouthwatering display of edible happiness. Crisp fresh tortilla chips are served along side as well as ramekins of salsa and sour cream. We promise you won’t be able to stop at just one bite of this incredible conglomeration of flavors. We know we certainly never can!
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes
A savory seafood dish that may be enjoyed between two patrons as a starter or as a full entree is the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes. Served with the restaurant’s classic coleslaw, roasted marinated beets with goat cheese, and a sinful and rich, yet simplistic Pommery mustard sauce, these pan-sautéed blue crab patties of delight will have you wondering why you never had these before. A double thumbs-up for this menu selection, as these have to be some of the best crab cakes we’ve ever enjoyed!
INSIDER’S TIP: Despite the restaurant having taken this item off the menu for their seasonal rotation, ask your server if the chef will prepare this for you despite. If the kitchen has fresh lump crab meat and the necessary ingredients on hand, they’ll secretly whip a couple up in the kitchen for your dining pleasure as they did for us!
If your taste buds are ready to be catapulted into overload status, then the Grilled Tuna Steak is just the thing to pacify those flavor receptors! Tender juicy Ahi tuna is pan seared in a Champagne vinaigrette then delicately sprinkled with Cajun seasoning. The hint of sweetness and touch of spice blends exceptionally well, while the additions of ponzu sauce and a side of coleslaw with fresh slices of ripe plum tomatoes add a refreshing note to this selection.
An intriguing and flavor-filled sensation worth experiencing is the Grilled Red Fish. Prepared with crisped sizable rock shrimp, steamed broccoli, and a succulent lemon butter sauce, the fish is filleted daily to ensure freshness and is lovingly tended to over a hardwood grill, which truly brings out the flavor in most everything this intimate restaurant has to offer. Pile on that classic famous coleslaw, because it’s got to be one of the best around. Fresh, chilled, and loaded with flavor, I could literally eat an entire bowl of this and be completely happy.
Pan Fried Fish
This was sensational! The Pan Fried Halibut crusted with Japanese breadcrumbs and seasoned with herbs and light spices arrived two filets to a serving. Accompanied by the classic coleslaw made famous by the Hillstone brand, the addition of halved plum tomatoes and a vessel of creamy Remoulade sauce and a squeeze of lemon set the tone perfectly. We loved the way the crunch of the crispy Panko exterior and the mildness of the interior flesh of the fish contrasted. The added burst of freshness from the tomatoes was also a nice touch.
Coffee & Apple Walnut Cobbler
If you’re an apple pie connoisseur, you’re going to adore the Apple Walnut Cobbler dessert at Houston’s. This exuberant sweet gift of the sugar gods has been delivering us to places of contentment for years. Crunchy from the walnuts, perfectly gooey from the caramelized sugars, gingerly spiced with everything nice, and finished off with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream, there simply could not be anything better. Add a couple of mugs of Houston’s exceptional coffee to that, and we don’t know how much closer to perfection you can get.
When traveling through the cities of south Louisiana, stop in at Houston’s Restaurant in the city of Metairie just outside of the Crescent City. We’re sure you won’t be disappointed with the elegant setting, attentive staff, and exceptional cuisine this location has to offer.
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Both classically and modernly appointed, the restaurant exudes a warm and intimate ambiance perfect for most any occasion.
- FOOD / DRINK: There is an array of choices to select from that will not only delight your palate, but will keep you returning again and again to this casual, yet classic restaurant. Crafty libations from the bar, savory memorable menu items, and desserts that will top off any meal without hesitation
- LOCATION: This particular Houston’s Restaurant is located at 4241 veterans memorial Boulevard in Metairie, LA 70006.
- HOURS: The eatery serves Monday through Saturday from 11:00 AM until 10:00 PM, and on Sundays from 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: The service at Houston’s is exemplary. It has been since our first visit, and we know it won’t be changing anytime soon.
- PRICE / VALUE: The price point is spot on for the freshness and presentation of the fare.
- CORKAGE FEE: There is NO CORKAGE CHARGE at Houston’s Restaurant!
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (504) 889-2301, Website: http://www.hillstone.com
- PARKING: A large private lot is available for parking while patronizing the establishment.
- PRICING: The Chicago-Style Spinach Dip was fairly positioned at a simple $12, while the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes came in at a worth-every-penny $34. We were intrigued with the Grilled Ref Fish presentation at $28, and shared our praises with the chef over the Grilled Tuna Steak for $24. The Pan Fried Fish offering was a reasonable $26, and our finale of the Apple Walnut Cobbler for $8 and cups of coffee at $2.75 each we enjoyed polished our meal off nicely.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.