Known as the “holy city” due to its benevolence of many religions and eminence of various historic houses of worship, Charleston SC possesses intriguing attributes such as dazzling waterways, a historic heritage, and some of the best culinary delights in the south. Owner and Johnson & Wales University-trained Chef Bob Carter, known for his culinary creativity and impressionable offerings must have known from the start that this eatery would be a thriving one. Having opened its doors in January of 2013, this hip and upscale establishment has since proven to the area that it is here to stay.
Situated on a visible corner of the Wagener Terrace neighborhood of Charleston, South Carolina exists Rutledge Cab Company. What was once a former fuel and grocery venue was insightfully and artistically transformed into something so much more. Today, this indoor-outdoor elegantly rustic hot spot satisfies the masses with its trend-setting cuisine, full bar featuring popular modernized classic cocktails, and oversight by none other than owner Chef Bob Carter. With its cutting edge conceptual design, Rutledge Cab Company was destined to be a success.
Approaching the main entry, an alligator skin covered door graced with portholes invites patrons inside where an eclectic yet polished decor maintains an upbeat, lively, and comfortable space created to please anyone’s preference of cuisine, seating choices, or beverage cravings. Deep woods, earthy tones, shiny metal touches, and angled paneled ceilings attribute to the welcoming ambiance made even cozier by low lighting and the comforting feel one gets when stepping foot into this eatery.
INSIDER’S TIP: Be sure to get a good seat on the outdoor patio area to take in the lively weekly live music performances!
Cocktails With Character
We started out with a couple of “throwback” cocktails from the full bar. The popular Middleton Mule was crafted with house-infused cucumber gin and fresh lime juice, then topped with cold refreshing Ginger beer. The addition of a lime garnish added the enhancement of color to accompany the delicious and light flavors that joined together nicely. The Upper Manhattan cocktail follows that traditional bourbon taste with an enhancement of house infused mission fig and black cherry essence. A touch of mole bitters and sweet vermouth was added to this savory libation before being garnished with a cherry.
Charcoal Grilled Chicken Wing
An amazing way to get those taste buds crazy with delight is to introduce them to the eatery’s Charcoal Grilled Chicken Wings. Succulent and juicy with just a hint of spice, these heavenly tender wings delivered sensational flavor from Charleston’s only indoor charcoal grill. A creamy blue cheese dressing and crisp chilled celery stalks completed the refreshing, creamy, and flavorsome presentation. Hands down, these wings have to be the BEST we’ve ever devoured, which we attribute to the charcoal grill preparation. It’s just something you must experience for yourself.
Braised Beef Flatbread
The flatbread selections at Rutledge Cab Company are something to talk about. With a rotating menu of various toppings, these thin crust pizza-esque big-enough-for-two-to-share appetizers offer amazing flavor combinations and quite unexpected satisfaction with succulent flair. We indulged in the Braised Beef Flatbread, which possessed a hearty appeal from the charred onions, horseradish, Havarti cheese, and mouthwatering tender braised beef. The slight crunch of the handmade dough was a delightful experience, while the combination of sensational mouthwatering ingredients on top created the perfect flavor experience.
Turkey Meatloaf Sandwich
The Turkey Meatloaf Sandwich encompassed that homemade meatloaf flavor without that traditional meatloaf calorie count. Made with ground turkey instead of beef, this winning selection was joined by a smoked onion aioli, pepper jelly mustard, and was encased between two thick slices of sourdough bread. I relished in the tastes of sweet and spicy from the jelly and horseradish. And the healthier, yet still hearty turkey meatloaf inside filled that craving for something homemade, yet still remained lighter than most meatloaf recipes.
The Reuben Sandwich was something we just had to try. My husband is a stickler for a great Reuben sandwich. And this version was definitely a top scorer with its piled-high corned beef, stringy Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and 1300 sauce all in between fresh slices of hearty rye bread. Can you say “amazing!” This incredibly flavorful offering was packed full of excellent meaty taste, colorful attributes, and was a memorable “must-order-again” favorite among the items we tried.
An updated piece of history in the Wagener Terrace area of Charleston, Rutledge Cab company will seduce your senses in every way possible with it’s savory flavors, original and unique preparations, and accommodating dinging spaces inside and outdoors.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: The indoor space of the restaurant provides upscale casual charm and comfort that would put most anyone at ease. Outdoors, an expansive patio area offers spacious room for mingling with friends and meeting newcomers.
- FOOD / DRINK: Cuisine like no other. Refreshing provisions from the full service bar, melt-in-your-mouth cuisine selections, and unforgettable flavor, flavor, flavor!
- LOCATION: Rutledge Cab Company is located at 1300 Rutledge Avenue in Charleston SC 29403.
- HOURS: Service is available with an all-day / all-night menu Monday through Thursday from 10:00 AM to 12:00 midnight, Fridays and Saturdays from 10:00 AM until 1:00 AM, and on Sundays from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM. A pretty impressive “Rock the Cab Happy Hour” exists at the expansive bar Monday through Friday from 4:00 PM until 7:00 PM featuring discounted adult beverages, a Cocktail of the Day, as well as a reasonable bar menu worth trying out.
- SERVICE / STAFF: It was great to see such a collaborative team amongst the staff. We felt taken care of from the second we walked into the establishment to the time we had to bid adieu.
- PRICE / VALUE: Pricing for the items we ordered seemed fairly priced for the quality we received. Modern twists on classic favorites as well as original creations impressed our staff.
- CORKAGE FEE: Outside bottles of wine are permitted at the restaurant for $15 per bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (843) 720-1440, Website: www.rutledgecabco.com
- PARKING: Complimentary parking is available in a private lot with attended on-sight parking.
- PRICING: The Upper Manhattans and Middleton Mule cocktails we consumed during Happy Hour were just $8.00 apiece, while the Braised Beef Flatbread was was an easy $10.00. The Charcoal Grilled Chicken Wings came in at a very fair $10 per order and the Reuben Sandwich charmed at $11.00. We also agreed on the quality of the Turkey Meatloaf Sandwich at a reasonable $12.00.
* Menu and pricing subject to change without notice.