Amidst the marsh-laden tidal creeks of Mount Pleasant, South Carolina is postured a long-standing dining establishment that has been in existence since the early 80s. Shem Creek Bar & Grill has become a significant part of the waterway which meanders through the centermost artery of such a charming part of the country. While other dining locales rest along Shem Creek’s historic ebbs and flows, it’s namesake bar and grill honors true Lowcountry cuisine with the added incentive of an extraordinary view of the creek and the sightseeing one might happen to witness while patronizing this southern eatery.
Minutes from the historic district of the town known for it’s rich past, the town of Mount Pleasant has become a sought-after boater’s haven along the glistening waters of Shem Creek. Providing a substantial playground for those who enjoy most any leisure activity on the water, Shem Creek also provides the perfect picturesque backdrop for it’s namesake seafood house and oyster bar. There, patrons are afforded the luxury of enjoying the laid-back serenity of taking in the views of Shem Creek and its priceless experience not to be overlooked.
Indoors, nautically eclectic décor enhances the seafood eatery’s casual, yet inclusive ambiance. Red leather booths near the full service bar constructed into the shape of a boat is an intriguing display as diners enter the establishment. The aquatic world of fish aquariums entertain visitors at intimate booth seating, and no matter where one focuses their gaze, proof of nautical items convey a feel that only a truly authentic seafood restaurant can transmit.
The “Catch” BLT Sandwich
The “Catch” BLT Sandwich is a satisfying selection that my husband and I have enjoyed on multiple occasions when visiting the Lowcountry of South Carolina. A choice of either grilled salmon or a sizable mahi filet is topped with crisp savory bacon, crunchy chilled lettuces, and hand-sliced tomato on a soft Kaiser roll adorned with sesame seeds. An accompanying choice of scrumptious sides is provided as well. On different occasions, we’ve selected sides of fresh cole slaw and southern home cooked collard greens. We haven’t quite made it to choosing the salmon in lieu of the mahi filet because we’re obsessed with the mild flaky texture and simple, yet delicious flavor of the mahi presentation. I like the hot straight-from-the-pan temperature of the fish, while the softness of the bread and chill of the veggies and crunchy bacon offer multiple sensations of flavor, texture contrast, and savoriness
This heavenly-tasting creation filled with vibrant colors, crunchy components, and creamy blue cheese crumbles really scored high on our favorite salads category. Crafted with most of my favorite flavors…the sweet, yet slightly tart sensation of dried cranberries, thinly sliced crunchy almonds, mixed greens, crumbled blue cheese, fresh tomato and cucumber slices, and a house-whisked sensational balsamic dressing that complements the salad just perfectly.
Homemade Meatloaf “Shemwich”
With several varieties of “Shemwiches” to chose from on the menu, I found myself indulging in the incredible Homemade Meatloaf Sandwich version. Handcrafted and expertly prepared homemade meatloaf on a toasted hoagie roll with lettuce, tomato, and onion as well as a choice of one side. If you’re in for a meatloaf sandwich that tastes like it was stolen from your own family’s secret recipe collection, it’s time to try this offering out during a relaxed slow-paced lunch break. We ordered the fried okra side and as you can see, the sandwich and the side were ample portions. The crisp crunch of the fried okra matches seamlessly with this lumch entree choice. Add a little ranch dressing on the side to dip each fried morsel of okra into, and you’re sure to relish in the experience as much as we did.
Here’s a festive and healthy, yet filling selection on the lighter side…the Shem Salad. Vivid hues of reds and greens and oranges ever so appealing to the eye are complemented by the coordinating flavors of combined crisp lettuce varieties, bite-sized grape tomatoes, crunchy slices of cucumber, cheddar and jack cheeses, sliced almonds and chopped egg. Delightful on the palate and good for you at the same time, this creation is enjoyable to dive right into at any time of the day.
The Village Beef “Shemwich”
Another Shemwich I succumbed to devouring happily is the Village Beef Shemwich. Thin slices of prime rib are piled high with a heaping portion of Swiss cheese and horseradish sauce. These contents are then pressed onto French bread and served with a vessel of hot au jus perfect for dipping every single succulent bite into. Lean beef, melty cheese, and the addition of the creamy horseradish sauce make this heavenly conglomeration one not to pass up at Shem Creek Bar & Grill. If you’re a calorie or carb counter and allowing yourself a temptation now and again, this would be a definite recommendation for a “splurge” meal!
When seeking a location with remarkable waterfront visual complacency, Shem Creek Bar & Grill offers the perfect scenic South Carolina setting. An excellent place to take in a memorable sunset along the scenic banks of Shem Creek, arrive in your own watercraft just in time for seasonal activities on the elongated wooden dock stretching out over the marshy gateway to the soothing fluidity of the creek waters, or just sit and watch the boats go by, kayakers and paddle boarders glide past, or an occasional sighting of dolphins at play. Whatever your fancy, you will find it based amongst the water’s edge at Shem Creek Bar & Grill.
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: A casual decorum ushers first-time patrons inside, while welcoming back locals and regulars alike. The relaxed friendly vibe draws you in, while the eclectic seafood house-esque items enhance the ambiance and remind you that you’re in the charming environment of the south.
- FOOD / DRINK: Unforgettable homemade flavor and quality reside in every item we have ordered at Shem Creek Bar & Grill. From salads to fresh fish sandwiches to sinful meatloaf and prime rib atop soft sandwich breads, there’s a nice variety of items from which to enjoy a meal here.
- LOCATION: Shem Creek Bar & Grill is located along the water at 508 Mill Street in Mount Pleasant, SC 29464.
- HOURS: The establishment is open for business Monday through Thursday from 11:30 AM (kitchen stops service at 10:00 PM), on Fridays and Saturdays from 11:30 AM (kitchen stops serving at 10:30 PM), and Sunday for brunch from 11:00 AM until 4:00 PM, as well as Sunday dinner from 4:00 PM (with the kitchen closing at 10:00 PM). Don’t miss Happy Hour pricing on select drinks and food all day Thursdays at either of the two bars. The convenience of being open for business seven days a week allows for daily enjoyment of great Lowcountry cuisine, photo worthy views, and a full oyster bar to the back of the restaurant with expansive views of the waterfront.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Customer service is right on par. After our third visit to the eatery while in town, several of the staff remembered our faces and knew us by name. It was a nice feeling. And their continues graciousness impressed us to no end.
- PRICE / VALUE: Terrific pricing for the homemade quality and sensational flavor of everything we tried. Shem Creek Bar & Grill has become one of our top locations to unwind and relax when traveling through the Mount Pleasant, SC area.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per 750mL bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (843) 884-8102, Website: shemcreekbarandgrill.com
- PARKING: A spacious parking lot is free of charge for patrons right at the main entry to the restaurant.
- PRICING: The Catch BLT arrived at a simple $9.99, while the Special Salad that I absolutely fell head over heels for was fairly priced at $10.99 with the addition of grilled chicken I added to the order. The Homemade Meatloaf “Shemwich” was offered at $8.99, and the Shem Salad was an ample portion at just $6.99. Another “Shemwich” we thoroughly enjoyed was the Village Beef “Shemwich” that was a savory experience at a fair $8.99.
* Menus and prices subject to change without notice.