New Orleans is a place of mystical allure, defined culinary ingredients, and Southern hospitality that continues to impress visitors and those who have lived there a lifetime. It is a city that offers a multitude of variety, a willful personality, and sometimes a walk on the carefree side of life. It is an area that has seen tough times, but one that has also pulled through together in times of disparity and unforeseen loss. It is a community that has recovered from some of the toughest times in its history. At one time, the town’s motto was “We’re coming back!”, which is stitched on a couple of baseball caps my husband and I were given as reminders of the time we volunteered several weeks in the city assisting in the handing out of much needed supplies to those left with nothing in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. We found that the people there have a common thread running between them…that they have soul, that they have a fierce desire to forge ahead in times of incredible loss, that they possess the strength to stare adversity straight in the face and say they are not going to lie down until their city is back up and running again. This is what impresses us most about the Crescent City and those who call it home.
After some sustained damage, The Windsor Court Hotel also returned to its original grandeur after riding out the storm with guests inside. Today, the property stands tall once again, and inside this lavish property is housed the hotel’s flagship dining venue simply titled The Grill Room. We had the distinct pleasure of visiting this culinary treasure recently during a fine dining experience that we had to share with our readers.
Every year since 2005, The Grill Room at The Windsor Court Hotel has received the AAA “Four Diamond” and Forbes “Four Star” awards for its immaculate and distinguished fare, enchanting ambiance, and superior service. The venue is one of only three “Four Star” / ”Four Diamond” restaurants in Louisiana. The main dining room of the restaurant features an elaborate (and quite accurately depicted) wall mural of actual members of New Orleans society. A perfect conversation piece over dinner, my husband and I started taking turns identifying who each individual was in the immense picture. Besides that mural, the restaurant’s interior décor includes dramatic rich hues, fresh fragrant floral arrangements strategically placed within the dining venue, rich wood furniture, and comfortable leather seating, which enhanced the sophisticated motif of the establishment.
Chef de Cuisine, Daniel Causegrove prepared an exquisite meal for us during our visit to The Grill Room. Starting with his amuse-bouche of sorbet, champagne grapes, Dijon mustard and a tantalizing duck reduction, we were entranced and pulled directly into his culinary spell. The colorful champagne grapes popped with color and flavor, while the rich tastes of the Dijon and refreshing orb of icy sorbet tied everything together nicely and efficiently. Additionally, fresh oven baked bread and muffins were served with a chilled sweet cream butter to start our meal off on a delightful note.
The Beef Tartare appetizer at The Grill Room includes the Chef’s 141 Soft Egg, crispy shallots, a creamy parsley Aioli, and a house made caper mustard with a bacon soda thyme cracker. A wholesome flavor experience enhanced with Enoki mushrooms will not only leave you visually pleased, but will tastefully romance your taste buds as well.
Grill Room Caesar
The Grill Room Caesar is a classic selection from the menu at The Grill Room. Chilled crisp Romaine lettuce, a One-Hour Egg, white anchovies, pickled onions, and garlic-parmesan crumbs create a mouthwatering and savory occurrence with this popular selection from the menu.
Roasted Gulf Snapper
My husband’s Roasted Gulf Snapper arrived surrounded in a cloud of magnificent aromas that trailed its delivery from the kitchen. From the Leidenheimer French Bread Pudding to the succulent well-prepared mussels and shrimp to the heirloom cherry tomato nage that accompanies this incredible dish from start to finish, every component of the Roasted Gulf Snapper was superbly prepared and artfully presented.
Diamond H Ranch Quail
I chose the Diamond H Ranch Quail for my main course of the evening. Tender quail meat was pecan crusted and joined by a sinful vanilla date puree, hearty faro, summer squash, and topped off with a blackberry port reduction. We’ve enjoyed quail in many forms…wrapped inside a tender flaky phyllo pastry, roasted in a succulent broth, and now this version, which we devoured seemingly in minutes with smiles on our faces from the beginning visual attraction to the final bite of savory flavor conglomeration magic.
The Grill Room at The Windsor Court Hotel in New Orleans’ Central Business District offers an unforgettable culinary excellence. A great article and vivid photography of what exists in this abode of flavorful seduction will never be enough to express the true delight and genius of what the restaurant has to offer. Trying it for yourself…well, that’s the true magic.
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Upscale and certainly worth dining in, The Grill Room at The Windsor Court Hotel will charm you with it’s Southern hospitality and spoil you with its expertly-trained staff, superb cuisine, and one-of-a-kind elegant ambiance.
- FOOD / DRINK: Exquisite culinary talent pours out of this establishment gracing the palates of some of the most distinguished guests around. Fresh and locally sourced ingredients are proudly used in Modern American and Contemporary Southern recipes while stunning presentations are offered incorporating vivid colors, outstanding flavor combinations, and incredible aromas. The kitchen staff will happily accommodate specific meal requests with an entire vegetarian menu available upon request.
- LOCATION: The Grill Room at The Windsor Court Hotel is located in the Central Business District at 300 Gravier Street in New Orleans, LA 70130 on the second floor of the hotel.
- HOURS: Breakfast is served daily from 7:00 AM until 10:30 AM, while lunch is available Monday through Saturday from 11:00 AM through 2:30 PM. Dinner is an amazing event, and is accessible daily from 5:30 PM through 10:00 PM. Brunch is presented Sundays from 11:00 AM until 2:30 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Our server was extremely courteous, hospitable and warm throughout our dining experience at The Grill Room. We enjoyed his helpful recommendations and appreciated the service in general amongst the entire staff.
- PRICE / VALUE: The quality and presentation of the cuisine at The Grill Room becomes the epitome of all things divine. The pricing of the culinary delights we happily devoured paralleled the quality, flavor, and artistry of the dishes that were offered. In addition, the well-appointed dining room created an upscale, sophisticated, and relaxed fine dining environment.
- CORKAGE FEE: $25 per 750mL bottle
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (504) 522-1992, Website: www.grillroomneworleans.com
- PARKING: Valet parking is available on the first floor of The Windsor Court Hotel for your convenience.
- PRICING: The Beef Tartare was fairly priced at $19, while the Grill Room Caesar arrived at a decent $13. My husband’s Roasted Gulf Snapper showed off its ample savory flavor at $35, and the Diamond H. Ranch Quail that I chose was $31.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.