Frequently, my husband and I steal away to The Hotel Wilshire and occupy their rooftop pool patio for cocktails and bites over elongated conversations about our day as we watch the sun set over the City of Angels. The priceless views of the Los Angeles horizon at sunset and panoramic sights across the Hollywood Hills delight our visual perception, while refreshing breezes whisper past us over the pool’s aquatic surface as we find a place near the fire pit or stay snuggled in a poolside cabana. These are just a few reasons why we enjoy visiting The Roof On Wilshire.
Located on the rooftop of The Hotel Wilshire, Chef Eric Greenspan has created yet another spectacular dining locale. As the former Executive Chef of the highly acclaimed Patina, Chef Greenspan opened The Roof On Wilshire in 2011, and it has been going strong ever since. Crafting intriguing and savory indulgences for his patrons, Chef Greenspan realizes a good thing when he sees it, hence the location atop The Hotel Wilshire for his Roof On Wilshire culinary location.
Panoramic Views & Poolside Relaxation
The popular Bourbon Smash cocktail is a well-demanded libation at The Roof On Wilshire. A stunning deep pink hue, this liquid indulgence is crafted with Bourbon, muddled raspberries, fresh squeezed lemon juice, sweet honey, and garnished with fresh berries. The house Chardonnay was crisp, light, and potent after a few glasses, while the view of the azure pool beside us created a romantic and relaxed ambiance.
Bourbon Smash Cocktails & Chilled Chardonnay
The Chopped Salad is definitely one not to miss. A creative compilation of endive, celery, sweet apple, mozzarella cheese, pepperoncini, cucumber, garbanzo beans, golden raisins and charcuterie encompassed so many memorable flavors that moments of euphoria passed through my taste buds as I enjoyed this offering. Served in a large modernly-angled white porcelain serving vessel, this was most certainly a rewarding and guilt-free item to feast on.
Most everyone has a nacho attack now and again. Even my husband and I have to surrender to this indulgence at times. We always love a new spin on them, however. We found that at The Roof On Wilshire when we ordered the Nori Nachos. Crispy rice crackers made especially for manipulating into a base for fresh, succulent tuna tartare and a spicy salmon roe. Just marvelous!
Got a burger craving? How about a load of cheddar cheese, sweet chili and onion jam, and a steak sauce aioli to give you a load of flavor sensations? Add all of this on a grilled challah toast, and you’ve got one exceptionally phenomenal burger with a twist appropriately titled the Wilshire Burger! We ordered this rendition medium, and it arrived expertly prepared from the kitchen. The meaty-tasting prime ground beef used in this sandwich combined with the sweet and lively jam that accompanied it was marvelously ingenious, while the grilled challah toast which blanketed the interior ingredients showed off its marvelous buttery crunchiness with every bite.
Knowing about Chef Greenspan’s famous grilled cheese variations, we just had to try his Wilshire Grilled Cheese selection. Gooey Greuyer cheese served melted on a toasted sour dough bread joined by roasted peppers and a succulent date marmalade. Can you say heavenly!
Wilshire Grilled Cheese
The Roof on Wilshire is the place to be for capturing in one’s memory spectacular evening sunsets across the L.A. horizon, views of the famous Hollywood Sign, and such a comforting and inviting environment that you will never want to depart this gem in the sky along Wilshire Boulevard. We certainly enjoy our visits when we stop in, and we always look forward to the exceptional service awaiting us.
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: The panoramic views of the Los Angeles horizon offer seductive visuals, especially at sunset. After dark, an elongated fire pit is lit and the magic of the darkened evening begins to enchant everyone present. Poolside cabanas dance in pleasant breezes that heighten every now and again across the rooftop, while the hip and urban motif of the restaurant creates comfort, romance, and a welcoming invitation to arriving patrons.
- FOOD / DRINK: Chef Eric Greenspan has created a fantastic view-enhanced locale for all of Los Angeles to indulge in. Delicious combinations of flavor, eye-appealing presentations, and an ambiance with spectacular views, especially at sunset.
- LOCATION: The Roof On Wilshire is located on the rooftop of The Hotel Wilshire at 6317 Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, CA 90048 on the corner of Crescent Heights and Wilshire Boulevard.
- HOURS: Breakfast is presented Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM until 11:00 AM, while Lunch is served Monday through Friday from 11:00 AM until 3:00 PM. Dinner options are available nightly from 6:00 PM to 11:00 AM, and a spectacular Brunch is offered from 11:00 AM through 3:00 PM on Saturdays and Sundays. A special Sunset Menu with reduced specialty cocktails is available Monday through Friday from 3:00 PM until 7:00 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Attentive, sincere, and accommodating. If you bring your complimentary wine to the rooftop lounge, the hostess will gladly transfer your glassware to pool-safe wine vessels for your safety. But don’t worry, because the pool-safe wine glasses look and appear identical to the real thing.
- PRICE / VALUE: Acceptable prices for the quality of the cuisine served.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per 750mL bottle
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (323) 852-6002, Website: http://theroofonwilshire.com
- PARKING: Nearby metered street parking is available, as well as valet service at the main entrance to the property.
- PRICING: As guests of The Hotel Wilshire, we indulged in the Hosted Wine Hour from 5:00 PM until 6:00 PM. After conversing with a few of the staff and another couple staying in the hotel, we were whisked upwards in the building’s elevator to the rooftop escape which is The Roof On Wilshire. Atop the hotel, we surrendered to several divine items such as the Bourbon Smash during Sunset Hour, which was priced at $7 instead of the normal $14 per drink in addition to the remainder of our wines from the hotel lobby that we brought up with us. The Chopped Salad was listed at an easy $14, while the Nori Nachos were an acceptable $15. The Wilshire Grilled Cheese was priced at a fair $11. And the Wilshire Burger was offered at $14 and ordered medium.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.