On our last visit to Spoonful in West Los Angeles, California, my husband and I arrived late in the evening. We had been entertaining friends, and felt the urge to leave our abode after the final goodbyes had been extended and last guest had departed from our front drive. There’s no doubt that it was fun. However, we decided to drive over the hill to a little casual and comforting establishment on Cahuenga Boulevard called Spoonful for a cocktail at the bar and see what we could find out about the place.
The former Henry’s Hat location had been transformed into a comforting casual space filled with dim lighting and graced with industrial-esque décor with hints of the South seamlessly intertwined. Inviting window tables allowed for more private conversation or an intimate dinner overlooking the Boulevard. A chalkboard covering a door behind the bar displayed the daily cocktail special, and the exposed brick and angled mirrors in the restaurant revealed how truly charming this local eatery had been crafted into. Private rooms tucked away revealed almost romantic drinking areas as well, however, we chose to sit right up front and center at the bar.
The Pig Skin Cocktail
The Pig Skin cocktail was one spectacular beverage. For under $8, I indulged in this eye-catching, flavorful, unique libation hand shaken in front of us by our bartender. Made with Red Label Johnny Walker, ginger ale, and lemon juice, this tasty liquefied treat was then rimmed with crushed bacon creating not only a visually appealing adult beverage, but a tasty one as well.
Midnight Moonlight Cocktail
My husband tried the Midnight Moonlight cocktail. Hold on to your hats with this concoction of apple pie flavored moonshine, Stoli Vodka, and ginger beer! That’s right! We said moonshine! (This one’s legal!) We loved the method of serving this potent drink in a mason jar with a slice of Granny Smith apple as a garnish!
Speaking of garnishes…and infusion ingredients, the plethora of bright and vibrant colors from the stunning yellows of lemons to the unending shades of green from okra to green beans to halved limes to fresh basil created an array of vibrant colors across one side of the bar. There’s nothing quite like an establishment that prides itself on fresh ingredients used in house to dazzle customers. It makes for a beautiful display as well.
When driving down Cahuenga Boulevard in the Studio City area of Los Angeles, stop at Spoonful for a few custom cocktails and tasty bites along the way to your destination. You’ll be happy you gave it a try, and you’ll more than likely be back for more once you give it a chance.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Suttle signs of the South touch every part of this eatery. From the larger than life silver spoon hanging predomenently above the bar to the fresh libations being crafted with multiple variations of moonshine, to the comforting and casual seating arrangements and dim lighting throughout the locale, you will feel as though you’ve left L.A. and escaped somewhere to the southern portion of the country where lazy rivers drift past and ages old oak trees are cause to stop and take a moment or two to just enjoy the moment.
- FOOD / DRINK: We indulged in drinks only on this visit to Spoonful, however after speaking with General Manager, Mark Turocy, we discovered that some specific favorites of the eatery are the Braised Pork Belly, the Fried Chicken Dinner with Mac & Cheese (the best around according to Mark), and the Shrimp and Grits, all of which we will try on our next trip in.
- LOCATION: Spoonful is located at 3413 Cahuenga Boulevard in West Los Angeles, CA 90065 in the former Henry’s Hat location.
- HOURS: Spoonful is available for service Monday through Thursday from 11:30 AM until 11 PM, on Friday and Saturdays from 11:30 AM to 12 Midnight, and on Sundays from 10 AM through 11 PM. Weekend Brunch is also available Sundays from 10:30 AM to 4 PM, while Happy Hour is offered daily in the bar area from 4 PM to 7 PM with an ample selection of $3 beer, drinks, wine, and food. (*The Spoonful kitchen closes one hour prior to the posted closing times each day.)
- SERVICE / STAFF: Friendly and personable, always a smile on everyone’s face at any given time, and pleasant customer service with a helpful influence.
- PRICE / VALUE: Fair pricing during Happy Hour with great deals on both drinks and food daily, and reasonable prices listed for main courses.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per 750mL bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (323) 512-4800, Website: spoonfulrestaurant.com
- PARKING: We took advantage of the metered street parking available along Cahuenga Boulevard.
- PRICING: The Pig Skin cocktail came in at an easy $7, while my husband’s Midnight Moonlight Cocktail was a pleasing $12.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.