With successful restaurants in twelve states, J. Alexander’s wood-fired cuisine keeps customers’ appetites satisfied while showing off just what this company can do in terms of culinary flavor. A contemporary American specialist in the field of cuisine, J. Alexander’s appeals to those who desire consistently delicious food, while receiving reliable service in a cozy relaxed atmosphere. Proud of their line-up of select in-house hand-cut steak beef entrees, seafood choices, creative fresh salad and soup options, taco platters, sandwich and burger selections, and tempting desserts alongside a wide array of libations at the full bar, the establishment roars ahead in the customer satisfaction arena. We had the opportunity to experience what this eatery had to offer first hand when we stopped in for lunch with friends we were visiting near the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
The initial approach toward the front door of the restaurant was an eyeful. Huge red letters spelling out the eatery’s name perched above the main entrance contrasted nicely with the numerous green-leafed palms and other foliage surrounding the stucco and stone-faced property…
Inside, a cozy and welcoming steakhouse feel invited us in to pacify our reason for visiting. Classic white tablecloths draped over the many strategically-placed tables created a classy and clean feel to the space, while a full service lounge peeked out from a tucked away area off from the main entry. Tall burgundy leather booths beckoned us, and we were placed in one with a single lit candle on the table for mood lighting.
Our waitress explained to us that their salads were voted “Best Salads In Baton Rouge”. After hearing that, I had to try one of them. I wound up choosing the Cypress Salad which encompassed the likes of chopped crispy chicken, crunchy pecans, creamy avocado, halved tomatoes, crisp bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, large croutons and a house made ranch dressing that pulled it all together. Talk about delicious! Every mouthful contained flavors of everything savory, crunchy, and appetizing. I wasn’t sure I would finish the entire salad, but in the end I did. Filling and tasty, this was a perfect selection.
My husband chose one of the Chef’s Featured Fish Specials of The Day…the Paneed Pecan Crusted Trout. Flavorful creamy-textured trout encrusted in crushed pecans placed over rice with an ample side of J. Alexander’s signature Southern Coleslaw. Expertly-prepared grilled trout prepared to make your mouth water before the first bite is devoured, this beautiful fish was gently supported by tender flavor-packed rice beneath it’s stunning appearance, and was accompanied by the restaurant’s gently sweetened and refreshing coleslaw. The fish itself was drizzled with the Chef’s seafood sauce, which was delightfully flavorsome and added even more spectacular flavor to this entrée.
Paneed Pecan Crusted Trout
Our waitress brought dessert menus, however we respectfully declined. We were just too full to even think of eating another bite. I think we will most likely be returning to J. Alexander’s for another meal the next time we visit the Deep South of Louisiana again, as we thoroughly enjoyed what we encountered. And maybe we’ll even explore the dessert menu on our next trip there!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DÉCOR: Warm woods, dim lighting, a romantic ambiance and classic décor enhance the cuisine that is served at J. Alexander’s.
- FOOD / DRINK: Fresh and flavorful salads and seafood entrees that definitely deliver what they promise on the menu. We were pretty happy with what we discovered. No gluten-free options here, but vegan items include a Veggie Burger and several salads from the extensive menu.
- LOCATION: J. Alexander’s is located at 6457 Bluebonnet Boulevard in Baton Rouge LA 70836.
- HOURS: J. Alexander’s is available for service Monday through Thursday from 11:30 AM until 10 PM, on Fridays and Saturdays from 11:30 AM through 11 PM, and for Sunday brunch from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Our server was delightful and friendly. We couldn’t have asked for more from her. She checked on us frequently without being overbearing, and possessed a sense of professionalism and genuine sincerity.
- PRICE / VALUE: Fair pricing for quality cuisine creatively prepared by a well-trained kitchen staff. We felt J. Alexander’s pricing was very acceptable for the fine quality of the fare received, the friendly and efficient wait staff, and the relaxed and intimate ambiance throughout the restaurant.
- CORKAGE FEE: There is NO CORKAGE CHARGE at J. Alexander’s! (Of course, we loved this discovery!)
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (225) 766-8630, Website: www.jalexanders.com
- PARKING: A convenient spacious parking lot surrounding the restaurant making convenience concerns a non-issue for customers.
- PRICING: The Cypress Salad we enjoyed was available for $14, while the Paneed Pecan Encrusted Trout came in at a reasonable $19.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.