In the small southern town of Newnan, Georgia where locals know everyone’s name, and visitors are ushered into the friendliness and relaxed living style of the area, Mongkoltep Thai Restaurant on downtown’s North Court Square is cooking up some pretty savory dishes that provide something to satisfy everyone’s taste.
A truly authentic Thai establishment, Mongkoltep Thai Restaurant has been catering to the town’s cravings for tasty cuisine since 2010, and continues to successfully thrive. With its weekday specials and free Wi-Fi access for those having working lunches at the eatery, it was fairly obvious to us when we visited that this is where the locals enjoy being.
We started with the Thai Salad. This savory beginning came with our lunch entrees, and included the likes of Romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, bean curd, onion and bean sprouts with a peanut sauce dressing that was so delicious I could have just ordered a bowl of it and eaten it with a spoon. An extremely satisfactory start to a relaxed and anxiously-awaited lunch.
Chicken Pad Thai
The Chicken Pad Thai was terrific. I’m a lover of this dish when visiting Thai restaurants, and this version was certainly one to remember for a long time to come. The entrée can be prepared with chicken or for $2 additional, shrimp. I chose the chicken addition, and enjoyed its tender Thai noodles, flavorsome white meat chicken, egg, ground peanuts (love that extra crunch!), scallions, bean curd and bean sprouts.
Chicken Red Curry
Another preparation we appreciated was the Chicken Red Curry, as well as the Shrimp Red Curry. Both entrees start with the restaurant’s special red curry. Then your choice of chicken, beef, pork, (or shrimp for $2 more) is added in addition to delicious bamboo shoots, Thai eggplant, fresh basil, and coconut milk.
Shrimp Red Curry
Overall, Mongkoltep Thai Restaurant was a pleasure to visit. We enjoyed three entrees, fresh Thai salads with our courses, a couple of glasses of iced tea, and a kind and generous staff while we enjoyed our seating area on the sidewalk patio in front of the eatery. Will we return again? Definitely. When will we be back that way again? Hopefully very soon!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Don’t let the small size of this restaurant fool you, because inside is housed some of the best Thai cuisine we’ve enjoyed in some time. If you don’t give it a chance, you’ll never know what you missed!
- FOOD / DRINK: Freshly prepared, flavorsome Thai dishes to suit most anyone’s needs. Crisp salads, refreshing iced teas and other beverages, and meticulous presentations bring a lot of life to this establishment.
- LOCATION: Mongkoltep Thai Restaurant is located downtown at 16 North Court Square in Newnan, GA 30263.
- HOURS: Lunch is available Monday through Friday from 12 Noon until 3 PM, while Dinner is served Monday through Thursday from 5 PM to 9 PM, and again on Friday and Saturday from 5 PM until 10 PM. On Saturdays, the restaurant opens at Noon for lunch.
- SERVICE / STAFF: The staff at Mongkoltep Thai Restaurant is cordial, gracious, and made sure we had everything we needed during our visit. It’s pretty obvious that they care about their customers.
- PRICE / VALUE: A great value for what you get! The quality of the cuisine, the atmosphere, and the amazing staff all make this eatery a successful one.
- CORKAGE FEE: $10 per 750mL bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (770) 683-7177
- PARKING: There is plenty of available street parking in downtown Newnan as well as spaces in front of the restaurant.
- PRICING: The Thai Salads off of the weekday lunch specials is an easy $5 per salad, while the Chicken Pad Thai came in at $6.95. The Chicken Red Curry was $10, and the Shrimp Red Curry was $12 due to the additional $2 for the addition of the shrimp, yet was well worth it for the incredible flavor!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.