There’s a noticable breeze that’s been blowing over the Sonoran desert in Scottsdale since Proof Canteen opened its doors last year. The kind of breeze that one takes notice of and never forgets. Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North has a new concept restaurant that not only opened with rave reviews, but has also put themselves on the map for their casual, “unpretentious”, “down home” cuisine sure to satisfy the comfort food lover in anyone.
Set against the stunning expansive views of the resort among Pinnacle Peak and the vibrant hues of the Sonoran Desert backdrop throughout the property, Proof Canteen delivers comfort, relaxation, and a family-style feel that won’t be forgotten anytime soon. Formerly the Crescent Moon restaurant, this new concept brings it home with unforgettable favorites like Deviled Eggs, Fried Green Tomatoes, BBQ rib creations, and so much more. And that’s just from the Bar Bites menu! We stopped in to see what all the excitement was about, and we were happy we did.
Entering the establishment, a bold sign with the eatery’s name was evident beside tall wooden entry doors. Inside, a selection of welcoming seating areas beckoned us to stay and sit and indulge in what a friendly staff and unique menu had to offer. How about a great conversation piece? In fact, how about several? Above, distresses hardwood flooring spread a warmth across the entire dining space, while railroad tracks in the flooring support a shuffleboard table and whiskey barrels transformed into high top bar tables. We just couldn’t get enough of the actual menus, though. Below, license plates were crafted with hinges to create the front and back covers of pages and pages of sinful and comforting bites and crafty libations…
Canteen Menus, Spiced Lavender Mule & Kauai Spritzer
We began, of course, with two of the more popular signature cocktails…the Spiced Lavender Mule and the Kauai Spritzer. The Spiced Lavender Mule arrived in a chilled copper vessel garnished with a lemon wedge. The Hanger One Vodka mixed with lavender bitters created an amazing sensation of flavors along with the house made lemon and lavender syrup. All of these delicate, yet flavorful tastes were blended and mixed with ginger beer to polish off this creative and unique libation. The Kauai Spritzer was presented in a blue-rimmed glass vessel, also garnished with a lemon wedge. This refreshing rum-based beverage was made with Koloa white rum, house made strawberry and fig balsamic shrub (those are two unique ingredients!), and soda for a bubbly finish.
Proof Canteen Pretzel Knots…all we can say is WOW! These delicate, lightly sweetened morsels of doughy goodness not only appeared sinfully delicious, but they were gone in less than 60 seconds! The deceivingly soft texture inside their perfectly browned and salted exterior melted in our mouths. Just when we thought things couldn’t get any better at that moment, we tried dipping them in the accompanying spicy cheese sauce. Dying and going to heaven? I think we nailed that as we indulged in these delectable knots of beautiful expertly-baked dough.Deviled Eggs
Did we mention Deviled Eggs earlier? Well, we tried those also. Here’s a creative switch on this traditional comfort food favorite…lobster salad! Yes, Chef Jesse has outdone himself again by stuffing hearty flavorsome lobster salad into halved hard-boiled egg whites turning these southern favorites into an appetizer item not to be overlooked when stopping in during Happy Hour at Proof Canteen. Sprinkled with vibrant colored paprika and fresh chopped parsley for a garnish, it wasn’t difficult to see these disappear almost as quickly as the Pretzel Knots did.
BBQ Rib Bites
In the mood for more savory, sweet and scrumptious surprises? Then you should try the BBQ Rib Bites. Succulent short ribs cooked to fall-off-the-bone tenderness, then bathed in a sweet and zippy Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce. The rich heartiness of the rib meat combined with the mouthwatering taste of the ambrosial luscious BBQ sauce stopped us in our tracks and force us to wonder if we would ever leave the restaurant or just stay all night tasting everything on the menu. But we forged ahead…
Yes, Duck Fries. This was something we never had the opportunity to experience before. So when this flavorsome naughty treat popped out at us off the menu, we had to forfeit all controllable resistance. This almost-big-enough-to-order-as-an-entree starter combined the goodness of protein-rich shredded duck meat, decadent gravy, and cheese curds melted into a brilliant perfection garnished with green onions.
A visit to Proof Canteen just isn’t complete without something sweet. We settled for a standard chocolate milkshake, and enjoyed the result. Made by the staff in Proof Canteen’s own soda fountain, cold thick vanilla ice cream was blended with chocolate then served up in a tall ice cream sundae glass. Add a straw and a couple of long-handled spoons and you’re all set.
Take a break from the ordinary when you’re in Scottsdale, Arizona next time. Stop in for a bite at Proof Canteen and see what Four Seasons Resort at Troon North and Chef Jesse are cooking up! And prepare to be pampered at this casual, laid-back, straightforward canteen delivering reliable comfort foods sure to make you feel at home.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Proof Canteen invites patrons inside and out onto its stunning stepped outdoor terrace offering all-day dining selections overlooking the immaculate vibrancy of a Sonoran desert setting. Intimate seating outdoors, and a multitude of comfortable dining areas inside allow for accommodating most anyone’s needs. Don’t forget to take a peek at the shuffle board table, in-floor railroad track and soda fountain inside!
- FOOD / BEVERAGE: Chef Jesse’s perfected casual comfort food is memorable and noteworthy, as always. Libations are hand shaken and served chilled, the cuisine is served with pride, and there is something on the menu for everyone from craft beers, to homemade desserts to an array of tasty casual cuisine, including several gluten-free options.
- LOCATION: Proof Canteen is located at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North at 10600 East Crescent Moon Drive in Scottsdale, AZ 85262.
- HOURS: Proof Canteen is available for breakfast daily from 7 AM to 11:30 AM, lunch every day from 11:30 AM until 3 PM, and Happy hour is offered in the bar and lounge area each day from 3 PM until 5:30 PM. Dinner is available from 5:30 until 9 PM Monday through Sunday. *The bar menu is available from 11 AM until 11 PM daily.
- SERVICE / STAFF: With Chef Jesse running the show, expect service to be superior and reliable. We enjoyed friendly conversation throughout our visit and received attentiveness to our needs.
- PRICE / VALUE: Every day from 3 PM to 5:30 PM, you can take $2 off of all tap wine, tap beer, and appetizers. We enjoyed this fact, and had our fill of several items from the menu. Great pricing, even signature cocktails at full price!
- CORKAGE FEE: Unfortunately, no outside alcohol is allowed in the restaurant.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (480) 513-5085, Website: www.proofcanteen.com
- PARKING: Convenient valet parking is available at the main entry to the resort.
- PRICING: The Kauai Spritzer and Spiced Lavender Mule were priced reasonably at $12 each, while the Pretzel Knots were available for 3 for $4 or 5 for $5. The Deviled Eggs came in at an easy $11 per order, and the BBQ Rib Bites arrived for $14. Our Duck Fries stood solid at $15, while our Chocolate Milkshake was a simple $8.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.