In charming old town Savannah, Georgia sits a renovated fire station-turned-restaurant named J. Christopher’s. A neighborhood eatery serving breakfast and lunch, this comforting and inviting establishment has graced the southern town with its own storied past, while creating many newer memories with crowds of locals and tourists alike stopping by for an enjoyable meal indoors, or on the front patio along an oak tree laden sidewalk.
Situated on popular East Liberty Street, J. Christopher’s is the perfect place to watch passersby taking their morning stroll, to catch up with friends on a lazy afternoon, or to just grab a great tasting meal either inside, on the sidewalk patio, or even on the go for those in a rush. Towering protective oaks hover over the sidewalk casting shadows along the walkway, while the aroma of breakfast cooking wafts down the street luring hungry souls in for a treat they won’t soon forget.
I ordered the Eggs Benedict as my breakfast selection. Presented on the traditional English muffin with delectable Canadian bacon, then topped with expertly poached eggs covered in a sinful creamy Hollandaise sauce. Of course, I had to throw my caloric consumption over the edge by adding a side of cheese grits!
My husband ordered J. Christopher’s Western Omelet. Comprised of diced ham, colorful crunchy bell peppers, sweet red onion and melted Cheddar cheese all folded beautifully into fluffy light eggs with a side of bacon, this choice from the menu satisfied and filled every expectation my husband had of the description of this dish. It delivered what it promised successfully and effortlessly.
Smoked Salmon With A Side Of Fresh Fruit
The Smoked Salmon plate arrived with a side of fresh sweet fruit. Capers and red onion added to this traditional brunch special, while a side of cream cheese joined in to aid in the completion of flavors. Always a terrific item for breakfast, or anytime, this item was perfectly filling without being too overbearing.
The fourth person in our party chose a very light, very simple item…the Fresh Fruit Plate. Crafted with fresh orange wedges, sweet honeydew melon slices, ripe sweet strawberries, seasonal cantaloupe, and a side of low fat yogurt, this was an excellent choice for our friend who just wanted to “be good” while she was on vacation.
All in all, we enjoyed our visit to J. Christopher’s. You can peruse a PDF version of the restaurant’s menu in full at their website below for more menu items that we’re sure you will enjoy on your next visit to historic Savannah, Georgia!
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: A former firehouse, the building was renovated into what is now J.Christopher’s. We recommend sitting outside beneath a large umbrella for the best dining experience, where people watching is a common pastime and an admiration of centuries-old oaks can be fully appreciated.
- FOOD / DRINK: Fruit offerings were ripe and bursting with appropriate sweetness, while the hot dishes that we ordered arrived steaming hot straight from the grill. Delicious, excellently prepared breakfast items with beautiful and colorful presentations. There are no specific vegan or gluten-free item on the menu, however bread and other items can be left off of traditional items that are served with such items.
- LOCATION: J. Christopher’s is easily located at 122 East Liberty in Savannah, GA 31401.
- HOURS: J. Christopher’s serves breakfast daily from 7 AM until 2 PM, while lunch is available Monday through Saturday from 11 AM until 2 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Friendly service, reliable recommendations, and a conversational staff made us feel at home and comforted during our visit.
- PRICE / VALUE: Fair pricing for the large portions we received. A pleasant ambiance on the sidewalk patio ding area, and a knowledgeable and friendly staff made it worth the visit.
- CORKAGE FEE: There is NO CORKAGE CHARGE at J. Christopher’s! Just be sure to bring your wine glasses, corkscrew, and be prepared to open your own bottle.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (912) 236-7494, Website: www.jchristophers.com
- PARKING: Street parking is available for J. Christopher’s with both metered and non-metered spaces.
- PRICING: Our final bill came in just over $65 (including tax and tip) for four people. Keeping that in mind, we feel the price point was very reasonable.
* Menu and pricing subject to change without notice.