Formerly the popular Boathouse II establishment on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, Skull Creek Boathouse came into existence in 2009 when SERG Restaurant Group transformed it into one of the best seafood gathering spots on the waterfront. Previously part of the largest dry dock boat storage area on all of Hilton Head Island and after expansions and extensive renovations, Skull Creek Boathouse has now become what it is today. A lively, relaxing, fine establishment where locals and visiting tourists flock to for great times, a stunning water view over Skull Creek and the Intracoastal Waterway, and some of the most amazing fresh seafood, succulent steaks and vibrant sushi presentations around.
With its historical outdoor bar, Lowcountry style and intertwined protective oak trees hovering overhead, this establishment honors the South Carolina coast. Have a seat in one of the many adirondack chairs, watch the boats go by, and have a hand shaken cocktail while you’re at it. Perfect for a conversation with someone you love before or after a nice meal at Skull Creek Boathouse. Above, the logo compass on the entrance to the restaurant, the lunch menu, and the view of the front entrance to the eatery.
How about these views! A nautical feel with an upscale ambiance. Catch a glimpse of a dolphin jumping out of the water from the banks of Skull Creek, wave to boaters returning from a day’s adventure, or just take in the natural beauty all around you.
The indoor part of the restaurant features their popular Dive Bar, which offers fresh favorites like sushi, ceviche and seafood platters that will astound. Out of doors, the eatery offers a massive wooden deck filled with dining tables overlooking the water. Marker 13 is the renovated historical outdoor bar and is a conversation piece in itself. You can also catch a glimpse of watercraft being transported to and from the Hilton Head dry boat storage facility right next door. The deck is also the place to enjoy the establishment’s Sunset Reggae Party on Tuesday evenings with live music and promotional drink specials.
Sashimi Combo Plate, Angry Tuna Roll, and Tuna Sashimi
Here are just a few items from the Dive Bar at Skull Creek Boathouse. Above, a combo plate of fresh and colorful sashimi, the Angry Tuna Roll encompasses flavorful ingredients such as spicy tuna, avocado and a soy and eel sauce drizzle, while an order of thinly sliced tuna is topped with spicy mayo, avocado and crispy onion strings.
Grilled Talapia Sandwich, Soft Shell Crab Sandwich Special, Blackened Mahi Mahi Sandwich, and the Ahi Tuna Sandwich
If you’re in the mood for a terrific fish sandwich, this is the place to get it. In fact, this is really the place to get ANY sandwich! Above, revitalizing renditions of the Grilled Talapia Sandwich with a side of slaw, the sinful but melt-in-your mouth Soft Shell Crab Sandwich Special, a Blackened Mahi Mahi Sandwich with crinkle fries, and two images of the Ahi Tuna Sandwich served with potato salad. There’s literally something for everyone here, as you can see in these photos.
Above, the Napa Salad ($11) is enhanced with dark green baby spinach, crunchy toasted almonds, baby green beans, creamy avocado slices, fresh red grapes, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds for a little extra crunch, crumbled goat cheese (one of my favorites!) , and honey poppy seed dressing. You can add grilled chicken, shrimp, butcher filet or chilled rare seared tuna for an additional $4.50, but I just wanted to enjoy the salad without any additions this particular afternoon. And I certainly did enjoy it.
Below, another salad we can recommend is the Chopped Creole Cobb Salad ($12.50). Presented with a Creole Honey Mustard dressing that I asked to be placed on the side (just in case it was too spicy), I found that it was more creamy with a hint of spice…not heat so to speak. This outstanding serving was prepared with chilled shrimp, chopped smooth avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped turkey, mixed colorful greens, chopped tomato, apple wood smoked bacon, tasso ham (which gave the salad an additional kick of spice), and crumbled blue cheese dressing. Is anyone drooling right about now?
Chopped Creole Cobb Salad
The above Fish Tacos ($7.50) were served with crisp chilled iceberg lettuce, diced tomato salsa and taco sauce inside soft flour tortillas. These were grilled, but patrons may also request the fish to be fried as well. The fish was tender and flaky, while the crunch of the crisp lettuce and mild flavor of the tomato salsa inside completed the entire package. A side of crinkle fries with a ramekin of ketchup was also a nice accompaniment.
Crab & Shrimp Dip
Crunchy multi-colored tortilla chips are beautiful to admire. Pair them with Skull Creek Boathouse’s Crab & Shrimp Dip ($9.25) and you’ll be smiling ear to ear. This emulsion is made with artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, and creamy goat cheese. (They must have known I was coming with all of the goat cheese!) Easily shared between four people if ordered as an appetizer, this dish is the perfect starter to a meal.
For incredible fresh seafood, tasty fish sandwiches, sushi and seafood platters at the indoor Dive Bar, crisp flavorsome salads and an outdoor bar with a storied past all overlooking the beautiful tranquil waters of coastal Hilton Head Island, there’s nothing like Skull Creek Boathouse. We always enjoy our meals there, and we’ll continue to dine there on future visits to the coast.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: A lively and exciting waterfront location perfect for enjoying an amazing view. The entire establishment is decorated in eclectic decor with a nautical theme. Colors abound everywhere and as a whole (indoors and outside) the entire eatery is extremely pleasing to take in.
- FOOD / DRINK: Refreshing flavorsome cocktails, freshly prepared fare with sensational ingredients, and expertly crafted meals that are without flaw.
- LOCATION: Skull Creek Boathouse is located at 397 Squire Pope Road on Hilton Head Island, SC 29926.
- HOURS: The restaurant is available for service for lunch Monday through Friday from 11:30 AM-4 PM, then also on weekends from 11 AM-4 PM. Dinner is served Sundays through Thursdays from 4 PM-10 PM, then on Friday and Saturday from 4 PM-11 PM. The Sunset Supper Menu is offered daily from 4 PM-5:45 PM. Brunch is presented on the weekends from 10 AM-3 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: We have always experienced a kind, informed, conversational and efficient staff during our visits to this location.
- PRICE / VALUE: Excellent freshness of sushi at the Dive Bar indoors, meticulous consistency of the quality of what is served, and overall satisfactory pricing for what is offered.
- CORKAGE FEE: $15 per 750mL bottle
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (843) 681-3663, Website: www.skullcreekboathouse.com
- PARKING: There is ample complimentary parking in front of the restaurant alongside the Hilton Head Boat Storage Building.
- TOTAL BILL: It has really depended on how many people we’ve had with us and what was ordered during our many meals at Skull Creek Boathouse, so a good average of our experiences with the total bills we’ve had ranged from $35 to $75.