There’s nothing quite as satisfying as enjoying the cool refreshing taste of frozen treats most any time of the year. So when SavorHour.com was invited to the soft opening of Rita’s Ice in Redondo Beach recently, we knew we were in for a great experience. We were excited about this particular invitation because we had previously visited several Rita’s Ice locations in the southeast. So we knew what we were in for…everything delicious! Owners Jake Cosme and Josh Pascua are lifetime friends and veterans of the Iraq War. We had the pleasure of meeting these two gentlemen, and they couldn’t have been nicer, more accommodating, or more excited about their new business venture. Jake discovered Rita’s for the first time when he attended the Naval Academy in Maryland. And like us, he couldn’t stop thinking of what a terrific experience that was after his first taste of what Rita’s had to offer. Now the second store in California (the first having opened about a week ago in Santa Clarita), Jake and Josh are bursting into the community with a fresh take on traditional frozen treats.
Mark your calendars for the planned May 17th Grand Opening date, because this is going to be a huge hit in the Redondo Beach area. Our drive from Brentwood to Rita’s Ice proved well worth the 20 miles of driving to get there. And we’ll be doing it again once the location opens full-time in May.
Waffle Cones On Display, The Staff Hard At Work & Frozen Treat Samples
Rita’s Ice originated in Philadelphia in 1984 and started franchising in 1989. Since then, this popular chain of frozen treat perfections has not slowed it’s pace or it’s success. With more than 500 locations across the country offering frozen custards, gelati, Mistos (liquid custard and Italian ice blend), Blendinis (frozen custard and Italian ice blended with crushed Oreos, Nilla Wafers, pretzels, Heath candy bar pieces, Reece’s Pieces, M&Ms, or Wonka Nerds candies), Slenderita (fat-free soft serve), and milkshakes sure to please anyone’s taste for something sweet and chilled, Rita’s is leading the way as America’s winner for happy, satisfied, and returning guests. And here’s a twist…literally…Prospect Pretzels’ Justin Ashlock will be introducing his idea of combining his delicious soft pretzels with Rita’s frozen custard! (You know that sounds out of this world delicious!) Patrons can also order Justin’s soft pretzels by themselves at Rita’s (see below). We tried them, and they’re every bit as savory and scrumptious as Justin explained they would be.
Rita’s Italian Ices
We tried the Rita’s frozen custard sundae, the Birthday Cake and Chocolate custards, a few of the Prospect Pretzel twists, and the Cotton Candy and Strawberry Italian ices. All were presented fresh and each bite was memorable. We thoroughly enjoyed the fact that the Italian ices incorporate real fruit along with a refreshing iciness in every bite.The pretzels were soft, warm, and perfectly salted, while all of the flavors of the items we tried were worth returning again to enjoy for a second, third, and fourth time (and fifth, and sixth, and seventh, and….well, you get the idea!)
Rita’s Signature Logo Containers, Fresh Baked Prospect Pretzels & A Rita’s Hot Fudge Sundae
Rita’s website is also packed full of interesting and entertaining items (see below for the link.) There’s a Fun Stuff section, a Reading Incentives Program for children, information for celebrating birthday parties, store tours to show you exactly what goes on behind the counter and how all your Rita’s favorites are made, there are group meeting options, fundraising possibilities, and even a Birthday Club that’s free to join that offers everyone a special chilly surprise on their special day.
When the company says that they “promise happiness”, they mean it. You’re not just a customer in line at Rita’s. You’re a guest in their home in a way. You’ll feel a happy and welcoming vibe when you enter a Rita’s store, and you’ll leave with that promise of happiness on your way out. We certainly felt that at the Redondo Beach Rita’s. And we’re sure that you will feel that as well.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Inside, the establishment is designed in a contemporary fashion alight with bold colors. A sleek ordering counter and eye-popping colors welcome you inside, while outside, patio tables and chairs and convenient benches allow for an out-of-doors experience.
- FOOD / DRINK: Icy flavorsome treats, warm fresh baked pretzels, and several blended creations worth experiencing again and again.
- LOCATION: Rita’s Ice is located in the Redondo Shores Shopping Center at 403 North Pacific Coast Highway, Suite #101 in Redondo Beach, CA 90277.
- HOURS: Rita’s is available for business Monday through Sunday from 11 AM to 9 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Everyone we came into contact with was very knowledgeable about the products, services, and the store in general. All of our inquiries were answered fully, and we were happy to see such delightful service. Both Jake and Josh as well as their entire staff seemed genuinely happy to be a part of the business.
- PRICE / VAUE: Great pricing for such unique and refreshing treats!
- CORKAGE FEE: It’s frozen dessert! Nothing being corked here.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (909) 234-1477, Website: www.ritasicesbla.com
- PARKING: Ample complimentary parking is available in the Redondo Shores Shopping Center in front of Rita’s Ice.
- PRICING: Depending on what and how much you order, prices will vary. The cost of sweet frozen rewards at Rita’s comes with a reasonable price tag and a much larger satisfaction factor!
** SPECIAL THANKS: We’d like to thank Jenny Luu of Media Junkies LLC (public relations & marketing for Rita’s) for extending an invitation to us for Rita’s soft opening on April 8, 2013. We enjoyed meeting Jenny, owners Jake and Josh, the kind staff members of this location, and Justin Ashlock of Prospect Pretzels.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.