SERG Restaurant Group consists of seven thriving eateries dotted across Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. One of those locations, The Black Marlin Bayside Grill, is home to the Hurricane Bar. This locals’ hangout is positioned steps away from Palmetto Bay Marina and also offers expansive water views of anchored sailboats, speedboats and the like. Nestled within this marina community sits the Hurricane Bar beneath a canopy of towering oak trees that calls to those who enjoy a casual environment to enjoy what this unique outdoor locale has to offer.
Above, (clockwise from top left), a view of a crowded Hurricane Bar from a few feet away, a shot of the walk-up daiquiri bar under towering oak trees, seating area beside a flowing fountain, and an example of Hurricane Bar’s dog-friendly atmosphere (talk about a well-trained, well-mannered pup!) The indoor portion of the Hurricane Bar offers frozen daiquiris, brews, hot coffee beverages and other liquors to suit whatever adult beverage mood you may be in.
The above view of docked sailboats and other watercraft can be seen from the Hurricane Bar, while towering ages old oak trees spread their protective arms above patrons dining and drinking. Palmetto Bay Marina is steps away with scenic views of the arched bridge adjoining Hilton Head Island to the mainland and offers a serene environment.
From 4 PM to 7 PM at the Hurricane Bar, patrons may select such items as fruity liquid libations and fresh grilled fare for stellar prices all while enjoying a visit with friends, an evening with family, or just some time alone with a refreshing hand shaken cocktail and a view of the calming waters of the island steps from the deck where the bar is located.
Happy Hour at the Hurricane Bar is ever popular on the island. If you’re the type to mingle with the locals, this is where you should be. Select Happy Hour drinks and tasty appetizers create a happy crowd, and a full dining menu from The Black Marlin restaurant across from the Hurricane Bar also presents full-sized meal options inside.
Note: The above and below menus have been updated since we visited. The Shrimp & Artichoke Dip, Fried Mozzarella, and Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Soft Pretzel have been replaced by the Queso Fundido for $6 (a blend of melted mozzarella, cream cheese and goat cheese with spinach, chorizo and corn salsa with flour tortilla chips), Chicken Tenders for $6, Shrimp Puppies for $4 (hand formed and fried, served with honey butter), and the Crab Legs are the biggest you’ll find here and are still steamed and served with melted butter for $19. The Happy Hour drink menu now features all of the above, except now you can receive $1 off all frozen drinks and $2 off all signature cocktails.
The Hurricane is THE signature adult beverage at The Hurricane Bar.
Made with Cruzan 151 rum, Tropical Jack rum, Amaretto and unconventional juices which are then shaken and presented with a lemon and cherry garnish. It’s a cocktail that is sure to win you over from the very first sip. This $2.50 concoction is the only thing we order when at the Hurricane Bar. Fruity, colorful and refreshing, this libation is a favorite of ours when visiting the island.
Black Marlin Tacos & Peel-n-Eat Chilled Shrimp
We usually get the Black Marlin Tacos ($2.50 apiece) either fried or grilled. Either way, they’re outstanding and deliciously packed with flavor with their shaved cabbage, Baha taco sauce, pico de gallo and chilled sour cream on either a corn or flour tortilla. And for just $2.50 per taco, you simply can’t go wrong with them. Hurricane Bar’s Peel-n-Eat Shrimp are another choice that we’ve enjoyed. Just $6 for a half dozen, and $12 for a full pound, this offering may be ordered chilled or steamed, and is a satisfying and filling selection.
INSIDER’S TIP: We have found the Baha taco sauce to possess a little too much heat for us. However, just ask your server to either not put it on or place it on the side if you’re sensitive to spicy sauces. Everyone is different, and you may just end up liking it. So don’t be afraid to try it, just be aware that we found it too spicy for our taste.
Hurricane Bar is a fun, eclectic, and dog-friendly spot for a terrific Happy Hour. We know you’ll really enjoy it’s casual friendly ambiance, waterfront location and scrumptious Happy Hour cuisine.
- ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Casual and fun. Come in your swimsuit or boating clothes right off the water nearby or drive over and join the locals for a great time as the sun sets over the marina and the fresh air fills the area as a gentle breeze blows in. Towering oak trees overhead create a majestic natural canopy and a wooden deck lies underfoot with wooden high-top tables and chairs spread around the bar.
- FOOD / DRINK: We’ve enjoyed Hurricane Bar’s Happy Hour fish tacos, shrimp tacos, Sushi Nachos, Peel-n-Eat Shrimp and we’ve lost count of the Hurricanes we’ve indulged in! Everything is always homemade, fresh-tasting, and tasty with a vibrantly-colored presentation. Fantastic!
- LOCATION: The Hurricane Bar at Black Marlin Bayside Grill is located at 86 Helmsman Way in Suite 103 on Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 on the waterfront next to Black Marlin restaurant.
- HOURS: Hurricane Bar offers their Happy Hour pricing and menu daily from 4 PM to 7 PM. Both bars (the Hurricane Bar and the indoor Black Marlin bar) open at noon on the weekends, and a Bloody Mary bar is available during weekend brunch.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Friendly, memorable, make you feel at home, and efficient.
- PRICE / VALUE: You just can’t beat the Happy Hour prices at Hurricane Bar. It’s a local hangout with great pricing for the value offered in both food and drinks (with a nice view and terrific service to boot!)
- CORKAGE FEE: TBA
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (843) 785-4950, Website: www.blackmarlinhhi.com
- PARKING: Step off your watercraft and walk over to Hurricane Bar or drive over to enjoy friendly locals, efficient service by an amicable staff and delicious fresh fare with hand shaken chilled libations.
- TOTAL BILL: Never over $45 for a a maximum of four people in our party including food and drinks.