Our Tuesday evenings changed forever after our first visit to Gaby’s Mediterranean Restaurant along Venice Boulevard in Los Angeles, California. Gaby’s is the type of establishment where you can sit for hours on end indulging in a vast array of succulent Mediterranean and Middle Eastern delicacies throughout the evening, bring your personal bottles of wine from your cellar or wine locker at no additional charge, and just melt into the casual, yet inviting ambience provided.
We originally started visiting Gaby’s to see our friend Dean Christopher and his jazz trio Tuesday nights, and a new weeknight tradition was born. Paired along with what we found to be the best Mediterranean cuisine this side of the world, we found the atmosphere to be welcoming, the mood perfectly set with candlelit tables and dim lighting, and proof of the perfect relaxed and unique locale for a Tuesday evening. The comforting aroma of fresh pita bread being baked, the pungent, yet addictive flavor of fresh feta cheese, seasoned meats, and roasting lamb, sauce-laced offerings from the sea so tender and flavorsome you’d swear you were dreaming. These are reasons we adore this restaurant, and why you’ll find us here most Tuesday evenings.
Complimentary Corkage, Candlelight & Fresh Baked Pita Bread
Spacious, yet cozy seating accommodations invited us into the main dining room upon our approach. A dimly lit space graced with the flickering of candle-lit tabletops and comfortable dim lighting paired nicely with the aroma of savory mouthwatering delights strategically wafting from the kitchen. The greatest start to any meal at Gaby’s is a opened bottle of wine atop a candlelit table and a serving of the restaurant’s fresh baked aromatic pita bread. Heavenly in texture and flavor, dipping these perfectly prepared edible discs into the extra virgin olive oil concoction provided is a worthwhile treat destined to satisfy. Once our taste buds were overcome with the warm oven-fresh bread and sated by the start of a couple of glasses of wine, we began ordering items from the menu.
Grape Leaves, Labneh, Moussaka & Tabouli Salad
The Grape Leaves selection arrives in an instant. These handmade logs of healthy vegetarian goodness were served five to an order, allowing for a good indulgence of the flavors encompassed inside each of these succulent and taste laden packages of savory flavor. Hand-rolled by a dedicated kitchen staff and stuffed with the likes of rice, tomatoes, onions, and parsley, these are a perfect beginning to any meal at Gaby’s. A generous portion of Labneh, filtered yogurt spread combined with olive oil, dry mint and black olives offers a creamy addition to any item on the menu. It also serves as a cooling agent to some of the more spicy dishes offered. The Mousaka presentation offered a mix of stewed eggplants, chick peas, tomatoes, onions and garlic, while the light and aromatic sensation of the Tabouli Salad gave off a filling and minty delivery.
House Made Baba Gannouj & Kibbeh
The house made Bab Gannouj at Gaby’s has to be one of our favorite varieties of Mediterranean offerings anywhere in the U.S. Made with fire roasted eggplants pureed with garlic, tangy lemon juice, and tahini paste, this made for an ideal accompaniment to Gaby’s fresh pita bread and olive oil mixture. This creamy flavor-rich dish was garnished with fresh chopped parsley and a sprinkling of paprika before it was served with pride by the dedicated staff. Craving something hot, fried, and delicious? Then we recommend going for an order of the Kibbeh. The minced beef and cracked wheat exterior encapsulated a stuffing of seasoned beef and earthy pine nuts that left us yearning for more of the incredible meat flavors compiled into these individual shells of hearty deliciousness.
Lemon Mahi Mahi & A Side Salad
We’ve had our share of seafood dishes at Gaby’s, but one we’re emphatic about is the Lemon Mahi Mahi entrée. A sizeable Mahi Mahi fillet is pan sautéed, then served with the restaurant’s creamy and piping hot lemon sauce made with Gaby’s own special secret ingredients. The tender and flaky flesh of the Mahi Mahi falls apart when touched with a fork, and delivers sensational fulfillment from start to finish. A generous portion of rice and a simple side salad were also served with this entrée, and completed the meal nicely.
Homemade Tiramisu & Pistacho Baklava
The homemade desserts are a “must-indulge” item at Gaby’s. Fresh daily, we often enjoy the Tiramisu with layers of coffee and chocolate flavors, light and airy creamy ladyfinger and whipped cream filling, and towering impressiveness as well as the sweetness and “deliver-you-straight-to-heaven” intrigue of the Pistachio Baklava with its layer upon layer of filo pastry, honey, and ample pistachio nut goodness.
Gaby’s Mediterranean Restaurant convinced us to make it our Tuesday evening hang-out of choice. Between the friendly and generous staff who we’ve come to know and love, the accommodating spacious dining and enjoyable ambience, and the exceptional cuisine always made perfect and sensational by a romantic candlelit space, seductive tunes of sultry jazz from Dean Christopher & Friends, and no charge for corkage, we couldn’t imagine anything better!
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: Gaby’s Mediterranean Restaurant offers unparalleled comfort, spacious dining in a candlelit, romantic dining space, and a unique enclosed refuge from the never-ending hustle and bustle of the city.
- FOOD / DRINK: The cuisine offered is all made and prepared in house, offers succulent flavors sure to impress and delight, and provides ample quantities that will keep everyone fulfilled and satisfied from traditional appetizers to full entrée dishes to homemade desserts sure to satisfy the sweet tooth in us all.
- LOCATION: The restaurant is located at 10445 Venice Boulevard in Los Angeles, CA 90034.
- HOURS: The hours are accommodating for service Monday through Sundays from 11:00 AM until 1:00 AM in the morning. (Please call ahead before visiting in the event of private parties or special bookings of the restaurant, especially during holidays!)
- SERVICE / STAFF: The owners are loving and friendly to everyone, gracious servers and staff welcome patron inside with a smile, and are genuinely happy to see their regulars return week after week.
- PRICE / VALUE: The prices are amazing for the quality and consistency of everything served at Gaby’s.
- CORKAGE FEE: No corkage charged at Gaby’s! Bring your favorite bottles of wine and settle in for a relaxed evening! If you forget to bring your own, there is a convenient package store just a short stroll from the eatery to select a few bottles of your favorite vintage!
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (310) 559-1808, Website: gabysmediterranean.com
- PARKING: Metered street parking is available, as well as a private lot for patrons.
- PRICING: The hand-rolled Grape Leaves arrived at just $5.50 per order, while the orders of Labneh came in at just $5.50 each. The Tabouli Salad impressed at $6.00, as did the order of Mousaka, which was loaded with flavor and aromatic satisfaction. An order of Baba Gannouj will run you about $5.00 an order, while the Kibbeh arrived at an easy $7.00. The Lemon Mahi Mahi entrée was provided for $14.00 and was worth every penny. Homemade desserts will usually run about $3.25 per serving, and corkage is free, so bring in your favorite bottles of wine and look forward to enjoying the evening!
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.