Bustling Ventura Boulevard in Studio City is made much more soothing when stopping in at Il Tramezzino to ease a hunger pang or craving for a bite of truly authentic Italian cuisine. Our last visit to this quaint eatery offered an airy patio after dark beckoning us to stop by for a taste of what this unique popular dining locale had to offer. The candle-lit tables provided a touch of romance, while the café-esque design of the establishment designed the mood for the night.
An incredible ciabatta bread basket quickly arrived with menus and a wine list by a warm and friendly server hoping to satisfy our hunger after visiting with friends at a nearby piano lounge. Having indulged in a decent amount of liquid temptations for a few hours before strolling to Il Tramezzino a few blocks away, we were ready to carb it up with delicious Italian breads, pastas, and a hearty panini sandwich that Il Tramezzino cafes are known locally for being “the” Italian sandwich perfectionists. The expertly-toasted slices of crunchy sustenance displayed their griddle marks proudly, while a flickering candle beside the basket enhanced the hues of lightly browned deliciousness. The restaurant’s special garlic-basil spread sat beside the golden slices of bread, then vanished quickly once tasted. We ordered a couple of glasses of wine from the available options, and sipped and tasted in awe and amazement.
I had piles of pasta in my mind that evening, and I wasn’t leaving until I got what I wanted. Something flavorsome, a tomato-based sauce, a mixture of cheeses incorporated into thin logs of delectable penne pasta…sounded just what the doctor ordered to pacify my appetite. Hence, the Penne Formaggio hit the spot like nothing else. The blend of three cheeses and house made pasta sauce covered this dish nicely, while the perfectly aldente noodles were piled high and ready to be enjoyed. A sip or two of the wine we chose made this presentation an enhanced and complete one.
To miss out on what Il Tramezzino does with paninis should be a crime of human nature. We continued on with the Grilled Chicken Breast Panini compiled with sun-dried tomatoes, creamy chilled avocado slices, an excellent addition of Provolone cheese, and the eatery’s secret garlic-basil sauce on each slice of ciabatta bread to top off the flavor experience. Each bite was crunchy from the grilled ciabatta, filled with a circus of incredible flavors from the basil to the creamy cooling avocado to the punch of the sun-dried tomatoes, and the grilled chicken inside arrived tender, juicy, and lightly seasoned as to feature the mouthwatering taste of the meat. Definitely a winner, and most certainly deserving the name known by Californians as the “King of Sandwiches”! And if you’re shunning those carbs, the café will happily put your sandwich ingredients into a wrap just as well for you for no additional charge!
Grilled Chicken Breast Panini
An easily lovable café available morning, noon, or during the evening with a simple and intimate ambiance, Il Tramezzino offers four location in the Los Angeles area to fulfill those cravings for amazing Italian creations in Studio City, the UCLA campus, Tarzana, and Beverly Hills. So take a trip to Italian excellence and enjoy what this loved institution has to offer!
- ESTABLISHMENT / DÉCOR: Easy access from Ventura Boulevard or a walk down the block, Il Tramezzino offers an elegant, yet casual environment in which to enjoy most any Italian treat imaginable. Airy open patios grace these cafes providing ease and intimate provisions for diners.
- FOOD / DRINK: A selection of unforgettable grilled paninis, hearty dishes of pastas, refreshing beverages, coffees, beer and wine. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served daily keeps patrons coming back multiple times during the week.
- LOCATION: This particular Il Tramezzino Italian Café is located at 13031 Ventura boulevard in Studio City, CA 91604.
- HOURS: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is available at Il Tramezzino Italian Café Monday through Thursday from 10:00 AM until 9:00 PM, on Fridays starting at 10:00 AM through 10:00 PM, Saturdays beginning at 9:00 AM until closing at 10:00 PM, and on Sundays from 9:00 AM until 7:00 PM.
- SERVICE / STAFF: Full of conversation, excellent suggestions, and friendly demeanors, the staff will have you returning for more warm and inviting welcomes.
- PRICE / VALUE: Definitely a deal for the money. Huge portions are provided without having to empty your entire wallet when the bill arrives. A perfect meal for most any occasion.
- CORKAGE FEE: Our server mentioned an easy $5.00 corkage fee when bringing wine to the restaurant to enjoy with your meal.
- CONTACT INFO: Phone: (818) 784-2244, Website: www.iltram.net
- PARKING: Metered street parking is available along Ventura Boulevard and various side streets.
- PRICING: Our glasses of wine arrived at $11 per glass, while the ciabatta bread basket was complimentary with our meal. My heavenly piled-high dish of Penne Formaggio and the Grilled Chicken Breast Panini were offered at an acceptable $10.95 each.
* Menu and prices subject to change without notice.