Our first sojourn to Gainey Vineyard & Tasting Room in Santa Ynez, California was delightful. So were the subsequent sojourns to this family owned and operated wine estate. But it was our most recent visit there a few weeks ago that we remember most as our levels of enchantment and interest were enhanced even more. There’s something about stopping by a winery in the cooler seasons of the year. The cooler temperatures offer a more inviting outdoor environment, the leaves are all changing from a variety of green shades into deep reds, brilliant yellows and vibrant oranges, and most everyone you come into contact with appears in a more receptive mood than they would normally in the warmer months of the year. Let’s face it…we love the fall and winter seasons in the wine country of California. And our most recent stay in the Santa Rita hills of Southern California proved it to us all over again.
The entrance into into the estate is always breathtaking. In fact, we had never seen it appear so magnificent in past visits. Something was just…perfect about this particular day trip to the winery. The way the sunlight danced on each leaf so intricately, the way a gentle breeze caressed the treetops making them dance to the silent music of the wind. We couldn’t put our finger on what it was exactly, but we liked it. And at that moment, that’s all that seemed to matter to us on such a gorgeous day in the Santa Rita Hill wine country.
Following the family’s traditional sustainable farming practices, the result of what comes from the well-maintained and well cared for fruit of the Gainey vineyards brings extraordinary delight to the palates of those who take a moment to enjoy. Tastings are generally held by the estate’s “tasting ambassadors” who are willing and ready to charm, enlighten, educate and launtch your taste buds on a memorable adventure with each sip that is poured. The expansive, dimly lit, almost romantic barrel room is an optimal setting for such tastings. Massive wine barrels sit boldly along walls of the space, while tables are set up for those ready to try the liquid being happily poured by a knowledgable staff. (I threw a couple of photos in above from another trip there last October. I loved the way the estate decorated the place with these vibrant orange pumpkins!)
After experiencing all things savory and delicious during a tasting in the barrel room indoors, step outside for another treat with your bottles of purchased wine from your wine tasting . Private tables are intricately placed around the property positioned perfectly for enjoying some of the best views of the scenic Santa Ynez mountains and dramatic vineyards. We’ve brought many delicious picnic lunches packed with everything to accommodate a lovely wine meal right at the vineyard. After a couple of times doing that, we later discovered for a few dollars more that the winery staff would do it all for us. A terrific recommendation we highly enjoyed on past visits that one simply cannot let pass by.
From the picnic tables set within the vineyard gardens to the expansive mountainous views surrounding acres and acres of breathtaking vineyards, Gainey Vineyards offers more than just wine tastings and memorable views. It provides an experience that will make most anyone feel as though they are a part of what is happening at the estate. It will convince you that you are welcomed by open arms from the staff. And most of all, it will take you away from everything else and catapult your senses to a place of intricate wine making, a variation of elaborate color and flavor, and a sense of calm and tranquility that you truly deserve. Make any day special under the California sun by enjoying a day at Gainey Vineyards with the one you love most, a group of friends, or just by yourself to get away from everything loud and boisterous about the city and escape to this haven of all things enhanced by nature and the Santa Ynez Valley.
ESTABLISHMENT / DECOR: From the barrel room tastings to the array of not-to-miss offerings in the gift shop within a beautiful Spanish-style tasting house, Gainey Vineyard and Tasting Room provides romantic tones of natural materials throughout the building. On property, lush foliage, a variety of shade trees and expansive views of the Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Rita Hills and vineyards that go on forever provide enjoyment for everyone who visits this attractive estate.
- LOCATION: Gainey Vineyards & Tasting Room is located at 3950 East Highway 246 in Santa Ynez, CA 93460.
- HOURS: The estate opens its doors for wine tasting adventures and shopping starting every day at 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM when the doors close for the evening. Tastings are offered from 10:00 AM until 4:30 PM daily.
- SERVICE / STAFF: The kind and educated staff at the vineyard is sure to impress. Any question is answered happily and a friendly and accommodating feel is cast throughout the entire establishment.
- PRICE / VALUE: For a simple $15 a person, a flight of six select wines may be enjoyed with a detailed explanation of each. Reservations are recommended for parties of eight or more to ensure optimal preparation for your large party.
- CORKAGE FEE: There is no need for corkage charges on the estate. Just buy a bottle from the winery, grab a couple of glasses and enjoy!
- CONTACT INFO: Phone (805) 688-0558, Website: gaineyvineyard.com
- PARKING: There is ample complimentary parking right at the tasting house for your convenience.
- PRICING: Depending on what avenue you’re interested in taking, prices may range significantly. Stop by for a tasting, stay the afternoon and take a tour of the estate, or bring a picnic lunch of your choosing and enjoy the views all day if you like. A variety of wines, gifts and other must-have items from the beautiful gift shop, and special events and invitations allow for an array of options to chose from. (See the Gainey website for upcoming events, vineyard hikes and lunches opportunities, and many other activities sure to please.)
* Selections, pricing and times subject to change without notice.